Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HIGH GPA/LOW LSAT  (Read 1778 times)

red2010

• View Profile
HIGH GPA/LOW LSAT
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:31:12 PM »
I am currently looking at a 158 LSAT with a 3.837 GPA from Emory University.

I work in elder healthcare and am interested in a career in public service.

I am definitely retaking the LSAT in December, but am wondering what people's thoughts are on extreme "splitters" such as myself. My practice tests were all high-160's. I must have had a poor test day.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: HIGH GPA/LOW LSAT
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:56:34 PM »
I am currently looking at a 158 LSAT with a 3.837 GPA from Emory University.
I am definitely retaking the LSAT in December, but am wondering what people's thoughts are on extreme "splitters" such as myself. My practice tests were all high-160's. I must have had a poor test day.

Red -

The good news is that your situation is reparable.  With a higher second score and high GPA, admissions committees are more likely to weigh those slightly more heavily.  In general, however, splits are mildly negative at least; in essence, there must be a good (i.e, objectively logical) reason, and it cannot weigh too heavily against you for that school, which it will as either score approaches the median.  If either is lower than the median, you'll have your work cut out for you in the soft factors.  And if it's the LSAT, which is it for you, your opportunity is to reset the table.

Do take the LSAT again, give it a full semester's worth of your attention, and best of luck.

Thane.

chi2009

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 03:00:47 PM »
Retake the LSAT.   I had an average LSAT score and thought my high GPA, work experience, and letters of rec. would compensate, but that's not really the case.  If I realized at the time how important the LSAT score is, I would have retaken it.  It can determine what school you go to, which can determine a whole chain of other things.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 05:15:02 PM »
Look at it this way, there are probably at least one person scoring a 4.0 per university per year.  That is at least 2,000 perfect GPA's, if not more.  There are less than 50 people scoring a 180 on the LSAT.  So LSAT is more selective