Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Possible to do well on real LSAT if not satisfied with practice scores?  (Read 3486 times)

aclawnow

• View Profile
Hello all,

I'm just curious as to if anyone on LSD was seeing lower scores on their practice exams, and a bit of large discrepancies (Example: I went from 145 to 155 in one week on different practice exams?). I feel that I did not guess on one question on the real exam, and that it was actually a bit easier than any of the practices I had taken. I went in there thinking I was going to cancel afterwards, and ended up having good gut feeling on the way out of it. I just hope I'm not the only one who went in there not satisfied with practice scores, with hopes that I did better than my practice scores. This is my first LSAT and I know there is one more shot in December, hence why I have not canceled yet. Thank you I appreciate your input and time!

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Possible to do well on real LSAT if not satisfied with practice scores?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 10:28:54 AM »
Its not unusual for actual test scores to be higher.  Imho the practice tests tend to be a bit harder than the real thing.  Also, many people (like myself) perform better under the stress of the real thing than during practice where there isn't the same pressure.  A 10pt swing on a practice test is probably a bit higher than average, but not at all unusual. 
HLS 2010

MEMEMEME

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 11:36:54 AM »
You're going to get your score in a week; stop mulling it over again and again. It isn't good for you.

Haynes7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 02:57:40 AM »
I routinely got 157-58 on my practice tests and thought I would do fine and then did much worse on the real thing.  It's your call but I think that the real test is more difficult than the practice tests.

mr jazz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 07:38:21 PM »
I fell flat on my face in the September 2009 LSAT, but regrouped and did 12 points better in December 09.  Obviously, if I did this, I think you can too!  Worst case scenario for you, you get an awful score, take it again in December after drilling like it's your full time job (which it pretty much should be at that point) and you do a lot better.  A lot of schools average scores, but a lot will put significant weight on a higher score, especially if you include a suplimentary explanation of the score discrepancy in your applications.

MEMEMEME

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 09:59:13 PM »
Hello all,

I'm just curious as to if anyone on LSD was seeing lower scores on their practice exams, and a bit of large discrepancies (Example: I went from 145 to 155 in one week on different practice exams?). I feel that I did not guess on one question on the real exam, and that it was actually a bit easier than any of the practices I had taken. I went in there thinking I was going to cancel afterwards, and ended up having good gut feeling on the way out of it. I just hope I'm not the only one who went in there not satisfied with practice scores, with hopes that I did better than my practice scores. This is my first LSAT and I know there is one more shot in December, hence why I have not canceled yet. Thank you I appreciate your input and time!

So, we're waiting, what did you get?

aclawnow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 12:40:27 PM »
150. Pretty upset about it even though I felt good the day of. Should of definitely canceled. Anyone have advice on how I can improve for the December exam in the most efficient way possible? Already sent out e-mails to my schools telling them I am taking the December LSAT if they can please hold review and two of them already are waiting for the December exam. Definitely need all the help I can get please. I'll start by buying old PTs something I didn't really do before time (did about 5 PTs) just studied Bibles and Kaplan practice books.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 02:56:40 PM »
What was your breakdown for number of questions wrong in each section?  And for your 2 LR sections, how many did you get wrong in the first 10 questions of each section?

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 02:50:32 PM »
Probably a bit late now, but I'd suggest taking all released tests (and reviewing them after to figure out why you got questions wrongs).
HLS 2010