Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dec test to apply this cycle?  (Read 1138 times)

greencheese

• View Profile
Dec test to apply this cycle?
« on: October 13, 2010, 02:19:39 PM »
Hi,

Would applying with only a December score put me out of the running at schools I would have been accepted to with an October score?

I took the October test and am considering canceling the score (ran out of time on multiple sections). While I may actually have a fine score, it will not be the score I was aiming for and that was within my reach.

I haven't yet been able to talk to my pre-law advisor, but I am certain he's going to give me bad advice (he's one of these deans who believe any LSAT preparation is evil, for instance). I didn't know who else I could talk to, so I'm posting on here.

I suppose everything depends on what that score I get in December is. But does the rolling admissions set-up mean that I simply don't stand a chance at Harvard, Stanford, NYU, etc. with a December score, because everyone else with the same credentials and better will have applied with earlier scores?

Thanks!

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Dec test to apply this cycle?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 03:01:10 PM »
It would depend on your GPA and LSAT score I believe.  Schools that are a reach in October may be more difficult to be accepted at at the end of December.  Below is clarifying what I mean.

If you have a 4.0 and score a 175 in December, I'd assume your options would still be open for most, in ot all schools

Now if you have a 3.5 and score a 175, your options would be more limited.  A school that may have taken a chance on your in October may not now In January.  They may ahve already admitted someone with a low GPA that was similar to you, so they do not have a space

greencheese

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 03:47:18 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Related to my original post, what do law schools think of score cancellations? Overwhelmingly negative and must be explained with an addendum, doesn't care at all, or somewhere inbetween?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
december test be hardest ever.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 08:29:09 PM »
My friend, who canceled in June (just took the October) asked several schools about canceling ath the NYC forum. Seemed like all the answers were along the lines of "We don't care if you cancel once."  I recall one school, (I believe Fordham) saying that the want people to be at their best.  SO someone canceling once could be due to illness.  I think a 2nd or 3rd cancelation would require an addendum

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 10:33:51 AM »
I took the December, applied in I think March and did fine. I did end up waitlisted everywhere (adcoms said they'd already filled up their classes), but I guess I must have been at the front of the WL's as it didn't take long to get in.  So it can be done, but on the margins I'm sure it'll hurt your changes.  If your numbers are solidly 75% or so you'll most likely get in no problem.

Re canceling I'd tend to suggest not doing so unless there is some clear situational problem that definitely had a major impact on your score (i.e., death of a family member right before the exam, a flower pot fell on your head and knocked you out during the exam, etc). 
HLS 2010

greencheese

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 12:24:37 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the replies!

BikePilot, there were some minor personal "situational difficulties," but I'm not sure how they would read on an addendum.

Since I've canceled, should I be writing an addendum mentioning these minor situational difficulties?

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 03:27:47 PM »
I really don't know for sure.  I guess it depends on how minor - a speeding ticket on the way to the test, a cold/flu or something like that I wouldn't bother for.  A death in the family, major illness or something similarly serious would probably be worth mentioning.  If I were an adcom and saw a cancellation I'd be thinking "well, law school exams are a one-shot deal with no option to cancel and try again, I need to be pretty confident this kid can handle pressure and perform consistently." As it happens, I'm not an adcom and don't know what they think about cancellations. 
HLS 2010

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 02:40:58 AM »
...my pre-law advisor ... [believes] any LSAT preparation is evil...

I don't have anything useful to contribute to the actual subject matter, but just wanted to take a moment to repost this little gem.  I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a pre-law advisor who doesn't approve of LSAT preparation.  That isn't so much the worst. pre-law. advisor. evar. as simply an anti-law advisor.  Talk about missing the point of your job.

(But hey, with the bar set that low, maybe there is a second-career opportunity there for me.)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 08:43:59 PM »
...my pre-law advisor ... [believes] any LSAT preparation is evil...

I don't have anything useful to contribute to the actual subject matter, but just wanted to take a moment to repost this little gem.  I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a pre-law advisor who doesn't approve of LSAT preparation.  That isn't so much the worst. pre-law. advisor. evar. as simply an anti-law advisor.  Talk about missing the point of your job.

(But hey, with the bar set that low, maybe there is a second-career opportunity there for me.)

many pre-law advisers lazy,  this their excuse doing nothing.