I was a cancel Sept 09, 157 dec 09 and I dont know how I did in Oct 10. My PTs rose to 172 right before, and I would stay in the low to mid 170s, but I messed up on LG and who knows how I did on the rest. If I retake it will be June 2011, I think I am more of an afternoon person. But I feel so emotionally...discouraged? I get freaked out by the thought "Maybe I'm not meant for this."
First of all, given the info you supplied, if you take the LSAT again it would be your 4th time, not 3rd.
Sorry to hear you are feeling discouraged. Just so you know, you are not alone. Everyone that seriously preps for and takes the LSAT seeking admission to Law School experiences similar feelings at times during the process unless they are a robot without human feelings. It can be a challenging stressful journey.
A few important issues you should be contemplating if you aren't already. Are you considering canceling your October score or are you going to let it ride and keep the score? It sounds like your practice test scores were going well leading up to test day.
Did something go horribly wrong when you took the test last weekend that you think may have knocked your potential score significantly down from your recent practice test scoring range or do you think it just might be the typical post-test uncertainty thing everyone goes through? What do you mean by saying you messed up on the LG's? Did just one game give you some trouble cuz it was hard or did something more dramatic happen (like not being able to address and answer many of the questions, several games because of running out of time)?
You have to make your decision right away about whether or not to cancel. LSAC rules dictate that to cancel you must send a written cancellation request that they RECEIVE within six calendar days of the test. Given that you already have one reported score (157, which could get you admitted to some LS's depending on your UG GPA), a previous canceled score and now the October 2010 test, you are locked into the situation of having multiple (3) takes of the test noted on your score report that admission committees will use to evaluate your application.
If you think that you scored significantly higher than 157 this time, given that it is your 3rd time taking it (which will be noted on your score report whether or not you cancel), I 'd keep the score if I were you. Several reasons why: First big reason is because you are limited by the rules to only being allowed to take the LSAT 3 times in any two year time period. That means that whether or not you cancel, you will not be eligible to take the test again until the October 2011 administration.
There is a way to get an exception to that limit that is not that hard to get if you are determined to re-take the test in June 2011, but given that you are already stuck with three reported instances of taking the test, I would proceed with caution in making your decision about such a plan. Having multiple takes, scores and cancels on your score report generally raises suspicion about your academic abilities/potential to perform well in LS when admission committees review your application.
You should definitely think through this and all the ramifications TODAY since you have to decide to keep or cancel your October score right away.