pppokerface

• View Profile
EDIT
« on: October 12, 2010, 10:39:59 AM »
EDIT

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to pick yourself up to take test 3rd time?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 11:27:13 AM »
If u did the best you can, let it go. If you have to, write an addendum.

pppokerface

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 11:34:18 AM »
So I should give up?

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 01:50:49 PM »
No you shouldn't give up. But I don't think you should keep taking the LSAT. If I was you, I'd write an addendum. Let the admissions committe know that your numbers aren't a true indicator of your intelligence. You understand how important the LSAT is  and that is why you did a retake. I think they will realize that your a serious candidate, and you took the time to let them know that you acknowledge  your weakness but u were willing to work on it.
Good Luck

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 11:02:53 AM »
I was a cancel Sept 09, 157 dec 09 and I dont know how I did in Oct 10.  My PTs rose to 172 right before, and I would stay in the low to mid 170s, but I messed up on LG and who knows how I did on the rest.  If I retake it will be June 2011, I think I am more of an afternoon person.  But I feel so emotionally...discouraged?  I get freaked out by the thought "Maybe I'm not meant for this."

First of all, given the info you supplied, if you take the LSAT again it would be your 4th time, not 3rd.

Sorry to hear you are feeling discouraged.  Just so you know, you are not alone.  Everyone that seriously preps for and takes the LSAT seeking admission to Law School experiences similar feelings at times during the process unless they are a robot without human feelings.  It can be a challenging stressful journey.

A few important issues you should be contemplating if you aren't already.  Are you considering canceling your October score or are you going to let it ride and keep the score?  It sounds like your practice test scores were going well leading up to test day. 

Did something go horribly wrong when you took the test last weekend that you think may have knocked your potential score significantly down from your recent practice test scoring range or do you think it just might be the typical post-test uncertainty thing everyone goes through?  What do you mean by saying you messed up on the LG's?  Did just one game give you some trouble cuz it was hard or did something more dramatic happen (like not being able to address and answer many of the questions, several games because of running out of time)?

You have to make your decision right away about whether or not to cancel.  LSAC rules dictate that to cancel you must send a written cancellation request that they RECEIVE within six calendar days of the test.  Given that you already have one reported score (157, which could get you admitted to some LS's depending on your UG GPA), a previous canceled score and now the October 2010 test, you are locked into the situation of having multiple (3) takes of the test noted on your score report that admission committees will use to evaluate your application. 

If you think that you scored significantly higher than 157 this time, given that it is your 3rd time taking it (which will be noted on your score report whether or not you cancel), I 'd keep the score if I were you.  Several reasons why:  First big reason is because you are limited by the rules to only being allowed to take the LSAT 3 times in any two year time period.  That means that whether or not you cancel, you will not be eligible to take the test again until the October 2011 administration.

There is a way to get an exception to that limit that is not that hard to get if you are determined to re-take the test in June 2011, but given that you are already stuck with three reported instances of taking the test, I would proceed with caution in making your decision about such a plan.  Having multiple takes, scores and cancels on your score report generally raises suspicion about your academic abilities/potential to perform well in LS when admission committees review your application. 

You should definitely think through this and all the ramifications TODAY since you have to decide to keep or cancel your October score right away.

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 09:15:26 PM »
Yes, its technically a 4th time.  I wanted to postpone, but it was too late to do so, so when I went into the Sept test I knew I would cancel.  Around Nov 09 I was robbed and I don't think that I was in a good state of mind.  I felt better about this test.  I was mostly the end of the third game and 4th game that I do not remember, but I believe that I got at least 2 in the last game correct.  I got 2 in LR wrong, but I feel good about at least 22 of the other ones (I don't remember the questions now, but after the test, I scoured forums online for the topics of the questions and recalled the answers from there)  So far, my answers for RC also go along with everyone else's but only a few of the questions were discussed.  I want to relax and forget about it because I cannot do anything about, but its very hard for me not to.  I guess I'm nervous about this one because if I do poorly its not because of bad circumstances, its mostly due to my own studying/mental capabilities, what a self-esteem blow that would be.  Thanks for the reply!

Interesting set of circumstances, especially the getting robbed part shortly before taking the test last year.  At the very least, with that you have something very compelling to present in an addendum to explain your multiple takes/scores that I think would very much help get admission committees to somewhat look past having multiple test takes and just focus on your highest reported score.

Being the victim of a serious crime is a major life event that can be very traumatizing, psychologically disturbing/harmful if not also physically harmful depending on what went down.  The psychological/mental/emotional aftereffects of the event as well as from all the stuff you have to go through/do to recover from it typically persist in various ways for long periods of time. 

That means that you have something good to write about in an addendum or otherwise work into your application that will very much stand out in the crowd from the typical lame pedestrian excuses tons of applicants that have taken the test multiple times submit as reasons for the multiple re-takes.  As the saying goes, "When you get lemons, make lemonade", and you got lemons by being a crime victim. 

MEMEMEME

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 10:04:57 PM »
Well, I guess you know how you did in October now- but sheesh, from the way you make it sound if you freaked out you'd still be getting in the 160s. Be happy. Some people can't even consistently do that. Plus, the schools know if you cancel so you might as well keep the scores when you take them from now on. Perhaps you're not meant for Harvard (and I am not saying that is true), but obviously if you can consistently do well on PTs you are fine for a decent school. Just think, it is just a test and what is meant to be will be. I am not sure if you're spiritual person, but say every school you applied to rejected you- then maybe you're meant for a different path and it isn't a horrible thing. Again, I am not saying this is true.