Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Preptest 13, St 1, #4  (Read 534 times)

Pepperdine2010

• View Profile
    • Email
Preptest 13, St 1, #4
« on: October 11, 2010, 09:41:55 PM »
Hi all. :D I need your help, please.

I worked on this game for 20 minutes and didn't score horribly but could have done better (I missed two out of seven). I didn't realize this was a pattern game until I finished the last question. I applied the rules to each question and answered them accordingly but my question is, how do you establish what the pattern(s) is based on the information provided in the rules? I've provided an example below:

23.)   N O T
         S O P
         N S T
         P O T

^That is the diagram I made based on the question info and by applying the rules. I did this for every question. At the end of the game I realized that there must be an inherent pattern governing the position of each variable, so I arrived at this:

Year1: p1 p2 p3     and     p1 p2 p3    (p= position)
Year2: p4 p2 p5                p4 p2 p5
Year3: p1 p4 p3                p1 p5 p3
Year4: p5 p2 p3                p4 p2 p3
Year5: p1 p4 p5                p1 p4 p5

Are these two patterns/diagrams correct? If so, how do you create these diagrams based on the information from the rules? As I mentioned earlier, I didnít have a diagram (know of the patterns) for this game until after I completed it.

Thank you for your time,

~Michelle :)

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
Re: Preptest 13, St 1, #4
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 06:58:29 PM »
Hi all. :D I need your help, please.

I worked on this game for 20 minutes and didn't score horribly but could have done better (I missed two out of seven). I didn't realize this was a pattern game until I finished the last question. I applied the rules to each question and answered them accordingly but my question is, how do you establish what the pattern(s) is based on the information provided in the rules? I've provided an example below:

23.)   N O T
         S O P
         N S T
         P O T

^That is the diagram I made based on the question info and by applying the rules. I did this for every question. At the end of the game I realized that there must be an inherent pattern governing the position of each variable, so I arrived at this:

Year1: p1 p2 p3     and     p1 p2 p3    (p= position)
Year2: p4 p2 p5                p4 p2 p5
Year3: p1 p4 p3                p1 p5 p3
Year4: p5 p2 p3                p4 p2 p3
Year5: p1 p4 p5                p1 p4 p5

Are these two patterns/diagrams correct? If so, how do you create these diagrams based on the information from the rules? As I mentioned earlier, I didnít have a diagram (know of the patterns) for this game until after I completed it.

Thank you for your time,

~Michelle :)

Your sets of combinations of recurrence that are governed by the rules, (each clan has to appear 3 times in the 5 year cycle, 3 appear per year, etc.) the 5 variables have to abide by due to the math established is incorrect.

This game is a rare freaky/unusual mind bender that typically F's up most students when they encounter it during prep since it is a total oddball.

There is an easy way (that I wouldn't expect anybody to decide to do under timed pressure and have never yet witnessed happening) to figure out the 5 different combinations of recurrence that govern the distribution of the 5 variables (each variable goes with one of the combinations).  Take the five letters, pick an order for them, the order doesn't matter, then write out that set of 5 in the same order 3 times, dividing them up into the 5 years with 3 per year.  Then calculate the year number combination of recurrence for each variable and you get the five combinations you can use to help solve the questions. 

Given the unusual nature of the game and improbability that anyone would think to do that during their ~9 minutes when faced with it timed, there is another much less mathematically involved straight forward 'I've got decent LSAT skills' way to comfortably handle and possibly breeze through the game.

Once you are clear about the rules and realize 'WTF? this is weird, nothing much to jot down for a set-up is coming to mind so I guess I should jump into the questions before they call time to try and grab a few points', you go with the basic rule driven and POE approach.  Basically the fall back brute force method when none of the typical strategies seem to be working to get you anywhere for some reason but you want to bubble something in the credited ovals! 

That means instead of staring at the page in confusion while the clock ticks, jump in applying the basic rules and few obvious deductions to the questions and answer choices to do it like a Pro possibly also scrapped for time since it is the last game of the section, and look for shortcuts that might be/are right in front of your face since time is running out soon. 

# 18:  easy with rule driven POE
# 19:  F'k! got rid of A and B easily but now am feeling screwed, make a bunch of brute force hypos or move forward and try to come back if I have time? hmm
# 20:  Super easy, that's the most obvious deduction of the game and is a no brainer point to get, bubble in the answer before they call pencils down!
# 21:  Process of elimination using the basic rules works to quickly dump (B), (D) & (E), then brute force hypo and/or review/spot check the rules and deductions made during the set-up time to try to get it done fast, but maybe double check a minute or so later if you are one of the people that finishes game sections with time to spare and want to put your final answer tentatively on hold.
# 22:  Plug in the local condition from the stem and make a partial hypo using the rules really quickly.  N O S in the first year, P & T don't so they have to appear in year two and 2 more times in years 3 through 5 without being in 3 consecutive years.  So, with the stated numerical distribution parameters (don't need to have figured out the pattern combos to conclude this), they both have to participate in year 5, bubble answer choice (D) and move on really fast.
# 23:  Another local question stem.  Make a hypo, plug in that info then apply the given rules focusing on the impact it has on distribution.  P is not in year 1, so it must be in year 2 and therefore cannot be in year 3 because that would make it appear 3 years in a row.  Not that many steps of analysis and you determine the credited answer choice fast.
# 24:  Run with the local info apply the rules and scratch out a quick partial hypo.  Neither P nor T in year 1 so they must be in year 2.  Due to the prohibition of participating 3 years in a row and the obvious deduction that each clan participates 3 times per 5 year cycle, P & T have to participate in the 5th year, thus giving you the credited answer choice.

If you have time to spare after #24 to revisit difficult questions you were uncertain about, namely #19, notice that the question stem of #24 (by itself, no brain power involved if you look for shortcuts) gives you the credited answer choice for # 19 that you may have wanted to go back and double check since it seemed like a big time trap.  If you didn't figure it out for POE purposes on # 21, the stem of #24 alone eliminates (E) for that question.

Question #'s 19 and 21 are the two time trap show stoppers of this game people stop and get stuck on that wastes most of the remaining time they have for the game/section but both of them are shortcutted very easily with work from other easier questions along with the question stem of #24.  Most of what is required to see and do this to not only be able to address all 7 questions, but also to use that extra minute or so to review and get the two hardest question correct is good time management and re-use of work/analysis from other questions.

You never need to know the set of distribution combinations the variables must abide by to get down and dirty to race through this game.

Pepperdine2010

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Preptest 13, St 1, #4
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 10:28:35 PM »
Thank you very much for the response, Jeffort! Your explanations helped a lot!