Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Two month prep for Dec. LSAT  (Read 867 times)

L-Spot

• View Profile
    • Email
Two month prep for Dec. LSAT
« on: October 11, 2010, 01:54:10 PM »
It might be seen from a previous post that I missed the planned Oct. LSAT, but that it might actually be a godsend given my relatively lax preparation the last month before the test (and overall non-ideal preparation).

Volume-wise, I've covered a lot of material over the past year, though I can't say any given week that I trained intensely.  Without official timing, yet still not dwelling on a problem too long, I can consistently score 170+, with an average of about 173.  The week before the Oct. test, I got 165 and 168 on two timed practice tests, followed by a 162.  The 162 made me really lose confidence however because I'm aiming for a 165+ that is crucial for splitter status with my low GPA.  I got a 160 on the last Oct. test, and although this is a generally good score, I was quite disappointed.

It's become apparent that LR is my strong point.  I usually finish with 3-5 minutes to spare and only get 2 or 3 wrong.  Which brings me to two questions, one quite general and one slightly more specific.

1)  Now that I've covered a lot of material, read the bibles, done practice testing etc, how could one best prepare for two months of more concentrated study?  I blame my failings on a lack of concentrated study before the test.  One method for high scoring I have heard about is to slowly go through several LSATs and to write a sentence on why each wrong choice is wrong.  I'm open to this idea.

2) Like I stated above, LR is my strong point, which is great because its 50% of the test.  My games and RC are variable however, and the difference between the high 160s and a low 160 test ALWAYS seems to be one game or one passage.  Is there specifically any recommend techniques for the RC?  There is absolutely no method to my reading madness (I underline words with reckless abandon), I seem to get through in enough time, but my comprehension seems lacking on the extremely dry and convoluted passages (usually one stands out as the most awful).

Any anecdotal advice from somebody who scored in the high 160s or low 170s, particularly in respect to the one game or one passage which seems to be my downfall.   In two months time, what is the best way to prepare?  I feel like I have a good base of knowledge, as evident by my perhaps 165 average on timed tests with slow and steady type studying (0-10 hrs a week for the past year)... I need advice to fast track to the next level in two months.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Two month prep for Dec. LSAT
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 05:04:24 PM »
december test be hardest ever.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Two month prep for Dec. LSAT
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 06:04:39 PM »
With games, repitition helped until I was comfortable with each type.  There was nothing I felt I could not handle come test day.  This included the process games that you don't see too often and the various hybrids.

As for RC, I did what I considered focused detachment.  I kept asking myself what is the writer saying, ignoring the details.  I found it helped with overall comprehension.