Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Non Trads and Judicial Clerkships  (Read 1368 times)

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Non Trads and Judicial Clerkships
« on: October 11, 2010, 08:25:18 AM »
Does anyone know if non-trads can be at all competitive for selection as federal law clerks?  For me, that
is something so far the road that I need binoculars to see it (LS class of '15), but other non-trads may
be interested to know, too.
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Non Trads and Judicial Clerkships
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 11:58:56 PM »
HELLO!?!?!

No responses?

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:13:30 AM »
From my research with reading, your grades are what is most important in grabbing a clerkship position.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 05:32:27 PM »
Yep, grades, school and references make all the difference.  At the circuit level clerkships are quite competitive, especially for "feeder" judges so don't slack off in law school.  I don't think traditional/non-traditional status really matters.  I've known both do to just fine re clerkships.
HLS 2010

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 01:21:11 PM »
I know several clerks that are ~40 years old.  Some judges prefer older clerks, some don't.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 03:35:48 AM »
John,

Aside from achieving top grades, I think I'd try to play the military card.  I am sure that there are former JAG/line officers in the judicial ranks.  That could be a hook..

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 09:50:41 AM »
John,

Aside from achieving top grades, I think I'd try to play the military card.  I am sure that there are former JAG/line officers in the judicial ranks.  That could be a hook..

Yeah, don't place too much stock on your "military card" - you need great grades (at least top 25%) OR the right connections as well.  The clerkship application process is really a crapshoot - you never know just what might catch a Judge's eye.  For that reason, I always erred on the side of including extracurriculars as long as they weren't controversial. 

To better your chances of getting a clerkship:

When you go to law school, figure out which teachers know the judges (you can usually do this by figuring out which ones are heavily involved in the state's judicial college or whether they clerked for a judge).  Take a few of their classes, do well in them, and get to know those teachers well.  An extremely solid recommendation (or even a phone call) from a teacher who knows the judge on a first-name basis can often secure you a clerkship.