Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which type of law?  (Read 1940 times)

Angelvoice

• View Profile
    • Email
Which type of law?
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:02:59 AM »
Will law school help me to decide which type of law to pursue?  Or should I know this before I enter school?  What about teaching me about all of the other types of jobs I can have with a JD?

Tanrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which type of law?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
You need to do a lot of research.  These kind of questions indicate that you don't have any understanding of why law school would be a good fit.

Spend some time at a courthouse watching proceedings.  Talk to DAs, PDs, criminal defense lawyers and even the clerks to get their feelings on the field.  Go visit some local law firms, small and large.  Read the Getting In section of Thane Messingers Getting In, Getting Good, Getting Gold.  Make certain that this isn't a passing fancy, because nothing seems better.  The last thing we need is another bitter blogger posting negativity.  :-)

Angelvoice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 02:59:10 PM »
I have been interested in law for a very long time.  I just always used to think that I couldn't do it or didn't have time to pursue it.  I have two small children, but my husband is very supportive.  What should I say to a law firm when I go visit them?

Tanrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 03:50:02 PM »
Tell them you are interested in becoming an attorney and politely ask them for  some time to chat.  Just make sure to come prepared with questions, so that you don't waste their time or seem like a fool.  You could also ask about the next ABA meeting and talk to folks there as well.  This is important so that when you get what you wish for, it is in fact what you want.

Angelvoice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 04:05:12 PM »
Thank you very much!

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 04:53:57 PM »
Will law school help me to decide which type of law to pursue?  Or should I know this before I enter school?  What about teaching me about all of the other types of jobs I can have with a JD?

You need not worry about the type of law you're interested in.  (And you shouldn't focus on that, with the rare exception approaching none, in a personal statement.)  Law school admissions folk know that interest going in means almost nothing three years later.  Even gotta'-be-litigators often find themselves practicing in areas they would never have thought about before, at least to start.

You SHOULD think about your genuine interest in the law, which you've described elsewhere.  For all, if it's less than a constant (if not burning)desire, beware.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 07:51:24 PM »
Angelvoice,

Is your paralegal program ABA accredited?  How far along are you in the program?  Many paralegal courses will give you a broad overview of some practice areas, i.e. Civil Litigation, Criminal Lit, Family Law, Evidence, Real Property, etc.

Mr. Messinger is giving you super solid advice.  As someone who is about to take the plunge into law school, I forced myself to REALLY think about choices.  I have a passion for just about everything in the law, and have found something interesting in just about every area.  I find that I can't think of me doing anything else.  THAT is why I am taking the risk and challenge of law school.  If I had even a slight doubt, I wouldn't do it.  It is FAR too expensive of a mistake to make.

Hope this helps.
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

Angelvoice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 09:55:57 PM »
To my absolute disgust and amazement, my school is not on the ABA's site list of accredited paralegal programs.  When I first started it, I was just thinking about the school's general accredidatin (it is).  What should I do?  Will this matter in me getting a job?

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 11:11:14 PM »
Since your school is accredited in general, it shouldn;t have much bearing.  As long as the institution is accredited, a bachelor degree is sufficient.

The ABA accreditation simply means that the program you attend went to the trouble to fulfill the rather exacting standards of the ABA in terms of curriculum and operation.

If you are not too far along, why not check and see if there is an ABA accredited program near you.  Here is the link:
http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/paralegals/directory/

A hint, the ABA does NOT accredit programs that are all online.  There is some minimum amount that must be "brick and mortar" classes.
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

Angelvoice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 09:05:13 AM »
So, I have decided to scratch the program and get started on my BS.