Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Choke: An important book for some LSAT test-takers  (Read 1263 times)

jurisprudence

• View Profile
Choke: An important book for some LSAT test-takers
« on: October 08, 2010, 08:43:11 PM »
The October LSAT is in 12 hours, and for those of you who suffer from test anxiety, I recommend that you read this book once you get a chance:
Choke: What the Secrets of the Brain Reveal About Getting It Right When You Have To
by: Sian Beilock
http://www.amazon.com/Choke-Secrets-Brain-Reveal-Getting/dp/1416596178

Beilock's book nicely analyzes why we choke: how *does* anxiety affect our brain?  Is there anything we can do about it? She details years of psychological research on the topic of "working memory," the brain's ability to retain many concepts simultaneously.  She writes that, unfortunately, people with high working memory, and thus who would do well on the LSAT, often are the ones who suffer the greatest from test anxiety.

I suffer from test anxiety, but I have found that if I slow down, focus on flexing my working memory in an effort to retain all the data the LSAT throws at me, I'll perform better on complex questions. Beilock also recommends writing all your strengths and skills before the test to remind yourself that you're a "multi-dimensional" individual, and that this test does not define who you are.

Best of luck,

jurisprudence

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Choke: An important book for some LSAT test-takers
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 03:50:42 AM »
so how your book selling, anyway?

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 07:08:01 AM »
Won't help much for those who are taking the test today.  Unless Amazon now has Hermes as a delivery option

.Chuck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question-Type Finder utility
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 08:43:22 AM »
Won't help much for those who are taking the test today.  Unless Amazon now has Hermes as a delivery option

I was kinda thinking 30 minutes or less like when I order a pizza.
Quote from: goaliechica

IOPJCRN (In other PJC-related news)
cheeseburger glazed donut bun
 "The burger has been met by criticism from burger puritans and from people who...WANT TO LIVE"

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 09:42:50 AM »
30 minutes or Hermes will only work if they upload the book directly into the brain.  Time is up for reading