Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Internship/Secretary/Paralegal Job  (Read 834 times)

Angelvoice

• View Profile
    • Email
Internship/Secretary/Paralegal Job
« on: October 08, 2010, 07:42:44 PM »
I am currently a paralegal college student.  Any tips on how to obtain an internship with no experience?  Or even a job?  I know this is pushing it, but I' really love it and I need it. 

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Internship/Secretary/Paralegal Job
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »
Just say the magic words: "I am willing to work for free."  Surprisingly, many places will take you up on it.

Angelvoice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 09:49:06 PM »
Thank you. That's actually very good advice. 

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 10:06:25 PM »
Of course it is.  That will be $75, please.

Angelvoice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 10:09:21 PM »
Haha, you're hilarious.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 04:30:35 PM »
Angelvoice,

If the paralegal program that you're in is worth their salt, they should already have established an internship
program.  If so, simply request a meeting with the internship coordinator.  If they do not have one, it is not an indicator of it being a very good program.

Is the program ABA accredited?

How far along are you in the program?  Many paralegal courses will give you one a broad overview of some practice areas, i.e. Civil Litigation, Criminal Lit, Family Law, Evidence, Real Property, etc.

Hope this helps.
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

Angelvoice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 10:04:46 PM »
I was just telling someone on another post that I just found out in horror that the program is NOT aba accredited.  According to the ABA's page anyway.  Wht should I do?!

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 10:52:04 PM »
Hey,

Don't be so alarmed. In the paralegal field, ABA accreditation is not mandatory.  The reason it is recommended is because of the quality of curriculum and high standards that the ABA requires of the school.  As long as you have a bachelor degree, most law firms will let you get your foot in the door.  You could always get a post-baccalaureate certificate in paralegal studies, too.

What I advise you to do is to complete a bachelor degree at an accredited institution.  If you are just starting out, you can take classes at a local community college. 

What state are you in?  Maybe there is an accredited program in one of your state schools..

Angelvoice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
So, I am pretty sure that I have decided to scratch the program and get started onmy BS.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 06:53:54 AM »
Not at all a bad choice.

Just speaking from my own experience, keep your grades pristine.  For the best law school opportunities, you will want to be
as close to an "A" student as possible.

If you are interested in law school, I urge you to look up the following book on Amazon and buy it:
Law School: Getting In, Getting Good, Getting the Gold by Thane Messinger. Thane is a practicing attorney who posts often here.
His book will give you a bunch of information about law school, and making the legal career choice in general.  Keep participating
here and read through the threads.  You will learn quite a bit.

The most important thing to glean is to make VERY sure that the law really is your calling.  It is a very costly, difficult and professionally risky choice.  BUT---if it is for you, there are many folks who will cheer you on.

Check out the following site:
http://officialguide.lsac.org/release/OfficialGuide_Default.aspx

LSAC are the folks who manage the LSAT, and act as a "middle man" in the law school admissions process.

ALSO..On the front page of the LSAC site is a calculator in which you can plug in your undergrad GPA and LSAT score.  The program will then tell you your "approximate" chances for admission to most of the ABA law schools.  Check it out.

It'll be a good reminder to crank that GPA.

Best wishes in your quest!