Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: American Heritage University College of Law  (Read 11346 times)

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
American Heritage University College of Law
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:40:37 AM »
Has anyone dealt with this school?  They seem affordable and do pretty much what Taft, Abe and Concord do but at a much cheaper price tag.   I actually talked to the director and the admissions director and while they were nice, I wasn't sure about the school.  What you read and what they offer are 2 different things.  I tried Taft... they are a joke....

Thanks!

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: American Heritage University College of Law
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 12:49:30 PM »
American Heritage University was created in 2003, as far as I can determine.  It is not an accredited university – not even DECT – and so would not be eligible for student loans or student loan deferral.  It worries me that they say “No Degree Required”, but the lack of LSAT is pretty normal for an online school.  Here (http://online.degree.net/archive/index.php/t-708.html) it says they were going to try for DECT accreditation in 2006, but apparently they did not do so (or did not achieve accreditation).  The only accredited online law schools offering a JD which I’m aware of are Taft and Concord (again, DECT accredited).  American Heritage is inexpensive, and they do offer an FYLSX review – which is good.  Apparently they have a physical facility, and their website looks good.  The same caveats apply to this school as to any non-ABA school; make sure a degree from here will meet your needs – which is something only you can determine.  Good luck!

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 07:12:05 PM »
None of these online law schools have the proper credentials.  However, if you really want a law degree, go for the cheapest online law school.  I say this because any state bar association, for  now, will give you grief for having studied law online regardless of the online law school you studied at.  But,  many state bar associations will let you sit for their bar exams if you can prove you know just as much as, or even more, than a brick and mortar, ABA approved law school graduate. 

You have to keep in mind that you will have to know much, much more than the average brick and mortar law school graduate.  And, you have to establish a reputation for knowledge of the law.  While you are studying at any one of the online law schools,  it will be very helpful to you to publish articles online on various issues of the law; either in a legal repository website or in your own blog that you make public.

Right now I am studying for a paralegal certificate because I have several degrees from brick and mortar schools.  But, I am also working on a J.D. law degree online.  To date, I have only written two articles on legal issues. One was co-authored with another paralegal student from the same school.
I will publish more within the next three years. 

Keep me posted on what you decide to do.  We can help each other get through this.
Angie

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 07:42:27 PM »
BAD INFO.

Sorry to tell you, but as far as I know almost EVERY state will NOT let you sit for their bar exam with an online degree.  The only exception to this (generally) is California.  Even there, you should read up on what the various requirements are.

Online law schools are just money thrown away, for this very reason.  If you ever seriously intend to gain employment as an attorney, you should seek admission to an ABA law school. If you do not have the basic capability or grades/scores to gain admission to an ABA law school, you will find it rough going in the legal field and should re-allocate both your time and money.  If all you want is to be able to append "J.D." after your name, then go for it.

Good luck!
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

gallagheria

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 10:02:09 PM »
I noticed on the Georgia State Bar that there is at least one online grad: https://www.members.gabar.org/Custom/Directory/Default.aspx?iSession=74256e688ba74cbd998a48b3af480daa
Mr. Michael Barry Sheehey
Company: Comcast
Address:9770 Foxworth Drive
Alpharetta, GA 30022
Work Phone: (215) 286-5790
Fax: (215) 286-5742
Email: michaelsheehey1@comcast.net
Admit Date: 12/12/2008
Law School: Concord Law School
Public Disciplinary History: None on Record

Member of the following sections:

* Entertainment & Sports

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 11:05:34 PM »
Many state bars WILL accept you if you have practiced in California for a minimum number of years, oftentimes 5 years.
That then enables graduates of such schools as Concord to eventually practice in other states, if those states permit
reciprocity for non-ABA graduates.

I simply know that my home state, Florida, does NOT permit it.  When I considered CalBar approved schools (I used to be stationed there in the military), I did not apply because of this.

While this delayed my legal education by almost 8 years, I know it was the right choice for me.
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 02:15:54 PM »
An online law school graduate was allowed to sit for the Massachusetts bar. There are several cases that indicate that the judges need the plaintiff to prove that he/she really has the necessary knowledge required to be an attorney.   If you read the eligibility requirements for sitting for the bar exam, you will notice that many state bar associations are willing to review an unapproved law school graduate's ability and make a decision on a case by case basis. 
Angie

gallagheria

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 03:37:53 PM »
Actually, the Concord grad graduated in 2005 and was admitted to Georgia in 2008. So this was only three years. Georgia does not have a designated time period like some states. Florida has a ten year waiting period under 4-13.4 for non-ABA grads. In Alabama, only states that have reciprocity with Alabama's non-ABA schools for bar admission can sit for the state bar and then there is no waiting period. Otherwise, only ABA grads can sit. Currently, no states have reciprocity with Alabama so at present only ABA grads and Alabama's state accredited schools can sit for the bar. This is true whether you have practiced for 3, 5 or 10 years.

As for attending an ABA-school, that does not guarantee eligibility to sit for any state bar. This is commonly misunderstood. Cooley, for instance, only requires 60 hours. This is what the ABA allows. Some other law schools allow students admission as long as they have 3 years worth of college. In fact, the ABA specifically allows exemption from even having a bachelors if the schools deems it appropriate.  Many state bars will prohibit these ABA grads from sitting for the bar. In Alabama, you must have completed your bachelors before starting law school. It does not matter if you graduated from an ABA-school or not.

So be careful with the blanket statement that attending an ABA school allows you to sit for the state bar. Every state recognizes the accreditation of ABA schools, not necessarily the education of the particular student though who graduated from an ABA school.

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 09:19:57 PM »
I noticed on the Georgia State Bar that there is at least one online grad: https://www.members.gabar.org/Custom/Directory/Default.aspx?iSession=74256e688ba74cbd998a48b3af480daa
Mr. Michael Barry Sheehey
Company: Comcast
Address:9770 Foxworth Drive
Alpharetta, GA 30022
Work Phone: (215) 286-5790
Fax: (215) 286-5742
Email: michaelsheehey1@comcast.net
Admit Date: 12/12/2008
Law School: Concord Law School
Public Disciplinary History: None on Record

Member of the following sections:

* Entertainment & Sports
Wow!!  I didn't know this guy could even sit for the bar here.  I wonder if he practiced in California for 5 years before he was admitted here.  I see he works for Comcast. 

There was a recent case where a lady graduated from Northwestern (another online school) but took her LLM at an ABA program.  She tried to get a waiver to sit for the Georgia Bar.  The Bar Examiner Committee asked her for specific information whether or not her online degree was just as good as an ABA degree.  She needed a letter from an ABA approved school to bring to the judge.  She did not get what he asked for so they did not let her sit for the Bar here.  She represented herself... that says something right there.

I just finished my Master's in Law & Public Policy and have an A.S in Paralegal Studies and a Bachelor's in Business.  I would love nothing more than to go to an ABA law school but while my GPA would get me into an Ivy league law school, the LSAT score won't even get me out of the gutter...lol  Plus, I am 44 years old with kids and a job.  A traditional school won't work.  Besides, I am too old to start as a first year associate somewhere.  I like the law which is what I want to study.  I am not sure I really, really want to practice law in the courts.  I just want to learn about it.

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 09:30:43 PM »
I have an A.S. Degree in Paralegal Studies, A Bachelors Degree in Business and a I just completed a Master's Degree in Law & Public Policy.  The only reason I am looking at online law schools is that I am 44 years old so a traditional school won't work.... there are not many law schools in Georgia anyway.  With my GPA from the Bachelor's and the Master's, I can get into an Ivy League law school.  My LSAT score won't get me out of the gutter.  That is the problem. I considered taken the LSAT again since its been 5 years but I am not sure it is worth it. 

I tried Taft.  Hated it.  Did not like their program.  Looked at Northwestern.  Did not like their program either.  Considering American Heritage because they have online classes.  You have to attend class a few hours a week in live time.  California School of Law School seems to have the best program.  You actually have to go to school online twice a week.  But, they are not DETC approved so you can't get financial aid or defer the loans you already have.  American Heritage is affordable and you pay as you go.  If you don't like it, you only lose what you paid into it.  Taft took everything up front and totally screwed you when you dropped out. 

None of these online law schools have the proper credentials.  However, if you really want a law degree, go for the cheapest online law school.  I say this because any state bar association, for  now, will give you grief for having studied law online regardless of the online law school you studied at.  But,  many state bar associations will let you sit for their bar exams if you can prove you know just as much as, or even more, than a brick and mortar, ABA approved law school graduate. 

You have to keep in mind that you will have to know much, much more than the average brick and mortar law school graduate.  And, you have to establish a reputation for knowledge of the law.  While you are studying at any one of the online law schools,  it will be very helpful to you to publish articles online on various issues of the law; either in a legal repository website or in your own blog that you make public.

Right now I am studying for a paralegal certificate because I have several degrees from brick and mortar schools.  But, I am also working on a J.D. law degree online.  To date, I have only written two articles on legal issues. One was co-authored with another paralegal student from the same school.
I will publish more within the next three years. 

Keep me posted on what you decide to do.  We can help each other get through this.