Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: another article I found interesting-Where the Jobs Are  (Read 981 times)

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
another article I found interesting-Where the Jobs Are
« on: October 06, 2010, 11:27:21 AM »
Twenty-nine percent of lawyers interviewed for The Robert Half Legal Hiring Index plan to add legal jobs, while 6 percent anticipate declines, resulting in a net 23 percent increase in projected hiring activity in the latter half of 2010.

Bankruptcy/foreclosure is predicted to be the most active practice area with 24 percent of the response; litigation ranked second (18 percent) followed by healthcare (17 percent).

In addition, the majority (88 percent) of survey respondents said they were at least somewhat confident in their organizations' ability to expand during the next quarter.

Robert Half Legal, a premier legal staffing firm specializing in lawyers, paralegals and other highly skilled legal professionals, developed the survey conducted by an independent research firm and is based on telephone interviews with 100 lawyers at law firms with 20 or more employees, and 100 corporate lawyers at companies with 1,000 or more employees. All of the respondents had hiring authority within their organizations.

Lawyers were asked, “Does your law firm or company plan to increase or decrease the number of full-time legal personnel on your staff during the fourth quarter of 2010?”

Their responses:

Increase: 29%

Decrease: 6%

No change: 59%

Don’t know: 6%

“As the economy regains its footing, legal organizations continue to make strategic hires to support active practice groups,” said Charles Volkert, executive director of Robert Half Legal. “Law firms, in particular, are expanding their legal teams to improve service offerings and meet client demands.”

Nearly half (45 percent) of lawyers said it is challenging to find skilled legal professionals.

“Despite high unemployment rates, the market remains competitive for candidates with experience in growing practice areas,” Volkert said.

Survey participants identified lawyers (95 percent) as the type of full-time legal position they intend to add followed by legal secretaries/assistants (36 percent) and paralegals (26 percent).

“Demand for associates who can generate revenue and support staff who can perform multiple job functions should remain strong in the coming months,” Volkert said.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: another article I found interesting-Where the Jobs Are
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:11:04 PM »
OMG...a little good news?
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 11:16:43 PM »
I know that is crazy. A moderately encouraging post?? I do love this quote, "Demand for associates who can generate revenue and support staff who can perform multiple job functions should remain strong in the coming months,” Volkert said. Pretty strange that firms would like people who can make them money and perform their jobs competently.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 11:28:24 PM »
Bigs,

I read that as "shackled to their desks and flayed with cracking whips."
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:18:17 PM »
 I read "demand for associates who can generate revenue" as "we only want people who can rain make"