Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAC Letter of Recommendation from four years ago  (Read 3025 times)

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
LSAC Letter of Recommendation from four years ago
« on: October 05, 2010, 04:27:33 PM »
I had three of my professors submit letter of recommendations four years ago. I have been pushing law school off for that amount of time. Do you think I need to submit more contemporary recommendations? Thank you in advance.

wjo9522

• Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
    • Marine Officer
    • Email
Re: LSAC Letter of Recommendation from four years ago
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 01:31:21 PM »
I have the same type of issue.  I have a four year commitment in the military remaining, post-undergrad.  I have become distant from my college professors.  In fact, when I did attend college, I took most of my classes through distance ed.  Most of the professors only know me by my performance on assignments. 

I look forward to reading the responses on this one.  Good question!
William J. Orr
Chief Warrant Officer
US Marine Corps-Active
1993-2015
Semper Fidelis

wjo9522

• Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
    • Marine Officer
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:09:57 PM »
I have two solid LORs submitted to LSAC, but I was concerned that they would be a little old by the time I could realistically apply.  I understand that my academic performance has not/will not change in the interim between undergrad and LS, so I should be fine.

Thanks for your insightful post.
William J. Orr
Chief Warrant Officer
US Marine Corps-Active
1993-2015
Semper Fidelis

NonTradInSATX

• Alea Iacta Est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:53:51 AM »
Iím in this same situation as a military officer separating and applying right now for law school.  After talking to law schools and experts, youíll need to be sure to flesh out your resume and donít cut corners on it, so itís clear where youíve been and what youíve done.  That said, once I told them about my situation they said theyíd like to have undergrad profsí LoRs, but work LoRs could be used as well.  In the end Iím using 1 undergrad prof, 1 work LoR and a refined resume.

Hope this helps!
Military Officer separating, 1L fall 2011

San Antonio, TX

wjo9522

• Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
    • Marine Officer
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 10:47:46 AM »
Thanks and good luck with your cycle.  Semper Fidelis.
William J. Orr
Chief Warrant Officer
US Marine Corps-Active
1993-2015
Semper Fidelis

ABELIA805

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 05:19:40 AM »

Good post here!Thanks.
bookkeeping services

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 05:31:01 AM »
I had three of my professors submit letter of recommendations four years ago. I have been pushing law school off for that amount of time. Do you think I need to submit more contemporary recommendations? Thank you in advance.

I think a lot of it depends on the caliber of school you are attending.  Other than the very, very top schools, the vast majority of the rest make their decision almost entirely based on LSAT and GPA.  Frankly, I don't think a lot of them even look at personal statements and/or LORs, unless maybe a student is basically tied with another few students for a few remaining seats.  Even then, honestly, I doubt that it comes down to LORs in the vast majority of cases.

It has been a long time since I attended school.  I can only think of one professor who probably really remembers me.  I asked him for an LOR and he sent one.  The other one, I got from a professional contact I had worked with for a few years. 

Even when I was basically still in school, it was awkward to ask for an LOR because even in classes where I was at or near the top in terms of grades, I almost never visited the prof during office hours, etc.  They really didn't know me other than by my grade in a class or two.  Most were very obliging when I asked for an LOR, though.  They do the best they can.

Again, maybe if you're applying to the very top schools, where the selection is very competitive, and you need to distinguish yourself from a sea of similar candidates, then the LORs might come into play.  Maybe if you're on the bubble, fighting for one of the last few seats in class in other schools, who knows.

Otherwise, I just don't think they matter at all.  Get them from a supervisor at work or something.