Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is being black sufficient for identifying as an AA?  (Read 1653 times)

jerseygirl11

• View Profile
Is being black sufficient for identifying as an AA?
« on: October 04, 2010, 05:09:04 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm 1/4 Egyptian, 3/4 Syrian, and  going through a moral dilemma. Although Egypt is in Africa, and most schools that I've contacted have told me that I can identify as AA, is this the wise thing to do? When I think of African Americans, I think of black people (as do the majority of people). However, just because society is trained to equate African Americans with being black, is that reason to discount Egyptians from being part of the African American community? I am certainly not white because I have some natural color, but I am not black either. I would very much like to identify myself as an African American, but I would feel more comfortable doing so with the assurance of others that I'm not just "gaming the system."

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is being black sufficient for identifying as an AA?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 05:37:19 PM »
Just make it clear that ur a peron of color. I agree-being an African American (black) is different than being African/Egyptian from a historical perspective.Were u born in the US?

Why do u care what others think? Judgemental  people aren't going to go on ancestors .com and inquire about ur past. As a URM the admissions department will probably classify u as African/black anyway.

I would very much like to identify myself as an African American, but I would feel more comfortable doing so with the assurance of others that I'm not just "gaming the system."
[/quote]

jerseygirl11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 05:56:50 PM »
I'm first generation born in the US, and first person in my family to go on to any kind of schooling. In my diversity statement, would it be appropriate to mention that my skin color made it difficult for me to fit in? I mean not for nothing, but coming from a town that has NO blacks, and maybe 1% minorities, I had to deal with a lot to try and fit in. After 9/11 happened then forget about it, the racism was endless even though I'm Christian! Neither of my parents speak English as their first language, and my father is the only one who works. My parents lack of education made it especially hard on me because I had to guide myself. All of these are things that I plan on including in my ds, but the only thing stopping me is figuring out whether they would be appropriate for an AA applicant.

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:25:15 PM »
 u are an African American .
U can also include in ur statement that ur specifically Egyptian and Syrian and how ur ethnicity has affected ur life or how ur catergorized as an African American with no regard to ur actual ethnicity.I think ur story is compelling.U have overcame significant challenges.
first generation college graduate
raised in a home where english is a second language
grew up in a homogenous enviroment-as a minority
ur golden
btw-as a urm u may be interested in CLEO (council on legal education opportunity)
good luck

marc38campos

• MSN Messenger - marc38campos@mail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - marc38campos
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - marc38campos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 05:14:43 AM »
Thats true i also once came across such problem!

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 09:06:29 PM »
You might as well declare it and improve your chances. A school will use you as a diverse black candidate to manipulate their data so you should use it your advantage, because schools do not have such scruples when it comes to disclosure of facts etc. URM status will help you get a ton of scholarship money or improve your admissions chances significanlty. It is African-American. Egypt is in Africa and you are an American that fits the definition of African American to me. If schools were not going to manipulate the status themselves I would say be more cautious, but otherwise you got an advantage use it for yourself.

Stungun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 05:20:09 PM »
I've had this debate before on another forum.  I read a good argument which convinced me that you can't infact label non-blacks as 'African American", that term is reserved for blacks.  If that's not the case, and you want to include Arabs (or people with arabic roots), then you'll also have to include Indians and people of Dutch decent, since they inhabit Africa.  It's not an all encompassing term.

I think the term African was used in the first place since many slaves couldn't accurately trace their roots back to any specific country within Africa.  However, you're able to do this; you should call yourself an Eygptian or Syrian American, or more concisely, an Arab American.

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 05:51:44 PM »
This is a good topic, and show's how little we truely see past color in this nation.

If you took an Australian Aborigionee and a blue eyed southafrican, people would call the Australian "african american" and throw stones at blondie if he did the same(even with centuries of living there and joint citizenship)

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »
Dosn't your school have an option for Middle eastern/arab?

Also, double check what it shows for the description of "caucasion" if it says(as many do) European/North African&middle eastern, and you mark a box other than that, then you are lieing on a lawschool admissions and that will be reflected upon when reviewed by character&fitness with the bar. A JD means jack without a license to practice.