Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: dont think im ready for next weeks lsat. please help  (Read 1873 times)

aclawnow

• View Profile
dont think im ready for next weeks lsat. please help
« on: October 02, 2010, 07:22:27 PM »
Hello all,

I've been locked in studying for about 6 weeks for this exam and my practice score is still only 140. I'm looking to score 155 range and I am unsure if I should just not show up and I believe that comes back as an Absent to schools or go in and Cancel. Kaplan prep course did nothing for me as I feel I like powerscore bibles so much better. I grasp the basics and techniques for the problems but in two practice exams the overall score is too low. The first one I did decent on LR and bombed LG and RC. Then second one was drastic increase in LG and RC but twenty point drop in LR. If I combined all my best sections I'd prob be close to my range. Any recommendations as far as prepping and going all in for december one so I can increase points ? And if it is better to be absent or go in to cancel? Thank you for your advice. I sincerely appreciate your time.

MEMEMEME

Re: dont think im ready for next weeks lsat. please help
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 02:04:15 PM »
I don't think it matters how you cancel your score as long as you don't have a 120 there because you didn't. If you have the option of canceling without going in, why waste your time? Contact LSAC. They're pretty nice.

Okay, as far as prepping- first of all, I'm scoring at a 161 right now, but I want to get that up because of my circumstances. I think I know why you're improving one week in one and then dropping in the other. Like I just told someone else on here, it's like a sport, you have to practice different things to be good at the sport and although you may improve overall over time, if you practice one or two skills one week and neglect the others, on gameday you will probably be greatly improved in those skills you practice, but you may drop a bit or significantly in the skills you don't practice. So, prep for all of the different sections all week and take a weekly preptest. Make sure you practice everything the day before too. Also, I don't know anything about Kaplan and it seems like people don't have great success with them in general. I am using Princeton Review's online self-paced lessons and I like them. I don't know if you can dish out another 800 bucks, but you get self-paced lessons, preptests, and a lot of practice in books. If not, just do what I recommend and hopefully you'll improve. You have to think about where you're missing questions and what you don't get and then look in your bibles in the index for that topic or those topics.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 03:08:19 PM »
Memememe is right on target with his reasoning on the score variance.  Six weeks and two tests may not be enough prepping time.  As an example, I prepped from Februry until June and took more than 20 full timed tests and completed over 5000 questions.  The repitition allowed me to see patterns in the questions. 

What type of prepping are you doing now each week and for how long?

aclawnow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 04:26:19 PM »

First off I want to thank you for responding. I have been doing LR past few days in my kaplan book doing practice sections. I figured its 50 points so why not focus there the most. After seeing the point you made about diversifying sections by day your probably right that's my best bet. However the deadline to cancel has passed which is why I am unsure how to go about next weeks lsat exam. Do I no show and get and absence or cancel at test site? I guess its safe to say after seeing your opinions don't go in there unless your sure your ready. I need ten more points according to last practice but I have one tomorrow so we shall see. Thank you for your advice.

MEMEMEME

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 06:55:28 PM »
You can do either. I looked earlier. You have six days after the test to cancel your score anyway. Look on lsac.org under LSAT and the info will be there or call them. Sometimes people can be nice to you if you just call. I don't know if they will or not- but it is worth a shot.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 12:31:12 PM »
october lsat be hardest ever.

MEMEMEME

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 12:41:14 AM »
Getting old.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 06:04:15 AM »
arthritis, eh?

aclawnow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 02:18:19 PM »
Hey guys I just wanted a last opinion before I decide to go in on saturday. I recently scored in low 150s much higher than my previous practice tests as I have been nailing my weaknesses after every practice exam. I hear that now they take the higher LSAT score, and I know December is the last call for fall 2011 admission. I decided to change my mind and dive into this exam saturday, and if I feel like I was rushed or bombed it just cancel and go all in for December. Any last word of advice on which section to focus on for last call increase? I know LR is half the exam, but I see I can improve on LG. Appreciate your help. Thank you

MEMEMEME

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 03:30:26 PM »
Like we said, all of them. I guess if you had to drop something, make it RC because you can only do so much with RC even if you study for a long time. I would just practice a lot of games and LR questions over the next couple days. I am starting to think you should probably practice a bit an hour or two before you leave for the test especially if you're finding you are doing a lot better on the second LR section of the test like me.