Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2010 Law School Visit: University of Miami  (Read 1998 times)

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
2010 Law School Visit: University of Miami
« on: October 02, 2010, 07:20:53 AM »
I visited the campus this past week during a trip to Miami.  Being a native Floridian, the call of South Beach clubs and the aromas of Cafe Cubano and cigars wafting from Calle Ocho were really not part of the equation for me.  I am pretty familiar with the positives and negatives (yes, there ARE those) of Miami.

I had a pre-planned visit to UM in which I was lucky to be given a tour with just one other prospective student, another non-trad.  The tour was given by a pleasant, intelligent, non-nerdy young 3L. 

As many of you may know, the Coral Gables campus of UM is downright beautiful and the facilities are excellent and plentiful.  The Coral Cables area itself is both vibrant and attractive.  The law school itself is a different story in terms of facilities.  The UM Law physical facilities (with the exception of the law library) reminded me of a rather "adequately" funded public junior college.  Why did I even mention this?  Well for tuition in excess of $38K per year, I think a few upgrades are in order for UM.

That said, the staff were absolutely wonderful, and I had a good impression just observing the interactions amongst the students in the quad.  I was fortunate to have a private meeting with the Assistant Dean of the School, who was both gentlemanly and encouraging.

UM's atmosphere was really laid back when compared to other law schools I have been exposed to.  That could be a plus for some folks.  Overall, it is definitely a school to be considered.  In my opinion, UM's closest competition in-state is FSU.

"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Law School Visit: University of Miami
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 05:04:47 AM »
A current Univ. of Miami student is coming out with a very good book, Law School Fast Track.  It's a Cliff Notes-style guide that should be quite helpful in wading through the nonsense of first year especially. 

His name is Derrick Hibbard.  Let me know if you'd like an intro, as I'm sure he'd be able to fill you in some more on UM.

Thane.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 06:39:22 PM »
Thane,

Thanks.  I would like his contact info.  I sent "thank you" emails to all concerned on my various visits, I'd like to get your learned critical opinion on them, if possible.  I will send via email.

Interestingly enough, I spent any available down time during the trip reading your outstanding book.  I am in the final section, "Getting the Gold."

I'll send you a private email, and possibly a draft of a review of it.  There are pitifully few guides out there that "tell it like it is" like yours and Morten's.  I especially enjoyed your dry sense of humor that often made its way into the book.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 08:14:16 PM »
Many thanks, louiebstef.  Much appreciated.

I sent Derrick a note, and perhaps he can respond directly.  If not, let me know and I'll make the introductions.  To all, Derrick's new book is Law School Fast Track: Essential Habits for Law School.  It's a concise highlight of habits that will pay off, big time.  It's the second-best book on law school out there.  = :   )

Thane.

Thane,

Thanks.  I would like his contact info.  I sent "thank you" emails to all concerned on my various visits, I'd like to get your learned critical opinion on them, if possible.  I will send via email.

Interestingly enough, I spent any available down time during the trip reading your outstanding book.  I am in the final section, "Getting the Gold."

I'll send you a private email, and possibly a draft of a review of it.  There are pitifully few guides out there that "tell it like it is" like yours and Morten's.  I especially enjoyed your dry sense of humor that often made its way into the book.

derrick.hibbard

• View Profile
    • Law School Fast Track: Essential Habits for Law School Success
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 01:34:14 PM »
louiebstef--

It took me longer to get on here than expected, so sorry about that.  So, my name is Derrick Hibbard and I'm a 3L at UM--and I like the school alot  (Although I agree with you that the buildings, interior, etc. are all a bit ratty).

If you have any questions or anything, you can respond here or just email me at derrick dot hibbard at gmail.  My book "Law School Fast Track" is helpful, if I say so myself--I wrote it directly to address the concerns I had going into law school--AFTER I'd read several law school guides.  It's short and geared simply at being an efficient law student.

Anyway, I hope your law school search is great--

Derrick

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 07:32:52 PM »
Thanks Derrick,

I will shoot you an email.