Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thinking about going to law school....  (Read 3675 times)

Angelvoice

• View Profile
    • Email
Thinking about going to law school....
« on: October 01, 2010, 09:27:16 PM »
Hello.  I am new to this board.  I am glad I found it because I would like some honest opinions from some law students.  Most of the material I have read on here seems to be very negative and I must say, is bringing me down a little bit.  However, I am choosing to still pursue more feedback.  I am currently a first year college student pursuing an Associate's Degree in Paralegal Studies.  I have been thinking about becoming a lawyer for years now but I just haven't really went for it because I have two small children that require a lot of my time.  However, lately I have been thinking about it more and more and part of me has decided to just go for it.  I just don't want it to be a mistake decision.  I love justice and I would really like to help people.  I also love figuring things out.  Anyone who would be willing to chat about a positive experience, I would love to talk to you.  I really need to speak to someone about this!  Thank you!

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about going to law school....
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 09:28:52 PM »
You're going to end up $150,000 in debt, hanging out at the courthouse hoping to make $100 from the local PD office by defending drunk drivers and child molesters.  If you're hot, you could make a lot more as a stripper, with much higher job satisfaction, and skip the law school debt.  Enjoy.

Angelvoice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 09:51:39 PM »
Wow.  Thanks......well not really.  Also, I am a Christian, so no stripping for me.  Lol, think I will just stick with law....

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »
So it's better to get drunks and child molesters out on the streets than it is to take off your clothes in front of someone?  Thank God I'm an atheist;  at least we have moral standards.

Angelvoice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 10:11:10 PM »
Who says I will be defending those people?  There are alot of other things that I could do you know.  And I have very high morals.  Thank you very much.

Tanrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 02:06:54 PM »
Don't feed the trolls.  :-p

Honestly if you want to go into law and are only a year into school, I would recommend switching degrees or taking a heavy courseload in philosophy or science.  Paralegal studies, prelaw and criminal justice do not seem to help folks prepare much for the LSAT.  I would also recommend doing a lot of reading and studying to figure out your personal counter to the very valid points raised by the negativity.

1.  How much have you done to ensure that you know what you are getting into?

2.  How are you planning on paying for college and grad school.  If you are taking out loans now then you are taking on a boatload of risk.

3.  Have you decided what level of risk you are willing to assume?  If your LSAT isn't good enough for a top regional school in the location you want to practice in, are you willing to walk away?

Angelvoice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 02:56:12 PM »
Thank you for your advice.  My plan is, to finish this degree just to get a job, then pursue a BS in Psychology.  I can use that to either apply to law school or get my phd in psychology.  Loans, yes either way. 

Tanrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 03:53:39 PM »
Not a bad way to go for degree plan, so that you can keep doors open for alternatives.

Is your husband willing to move so that you can go to school, or are you going to have to attend a particular local school?

Angelvoice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 04:01:42 PM »
I will have to go here.  And it's a T4.  I have two children and I don't want to move them.

Tanrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 04:26:49 PM »
If you want to help people, psych is probably going to be better.  Going 150k in debt at a tier 4 school, when you can't leave the local area sounds positively disasterous. 

I have 2 kids and a wife and am in a similar situation.  I have about 3 years to go to finish my degree, but I will be moving to go to school and then find work.  My wife is going to school as well, but her degree plan and career choice are a little more flexible for moving.