Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Meg Whitman controversy  (Read 1998 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Meg Whitman controversy
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 05:56:13 PM »
I agree with MeganEw. How far are you supposed to delve in to someone particulary someone as low as a maid on a CEO's radar.  She get the tax return and the agency says they are a citizen. It seems pretty reasonable for Meg Whitman to believe that makes the woman a citizen. This woman was a housekeeper not a live in maid so there probably was not that much interaction.  I find it unlikley the housekeeper had any significant role in the family. Many of my friends had housekeepers growing up and they came once a week talked for a few minutes then were gone and scrubbing teh next house.  Even if Meg Whitman somehow developed some great relationship with this woman  don't you think practically it would be  inappropriate to just bring up so your not an illegal alien right.  Especially after an agency and tax returns documented that she was. I would be offended if and when I pass the bar someone just asks your not a convicted felon right. My membership in the bar should establish that I am not.

The facts presented seem to establish that Meg Whitman did everything a reasonable person in her situation could do to avoid hiring an illegal immigrant. She hired an agency, which verified the tax returns. The housekeeper lied on official paperwork and an agency verified these lies. I don't think Meg Whitman is required to hire a private investigator to establish the citizenship status of anyone of Hispanic decent that works for her or the State of California. The only thing I took away from this whole story is that it shows how blatantly rampant illegal immigration is in California. Whitman did everything a reasonable person could do to avoid hiring an illegal immigrant, yet she couldn't avoid it. It is a problem in California yet I do not know how Jerry Brown or Meg Whitman intend to handle it. Instead I hear about a maid that Meg Whitman hired 8 years ago. California is some REAL SH** yet neither candidate seems to be dealing with how to fix the problem.

America is in deep sh** also. Yet people do not attack Obama's policies, which are controversial. Instead his opponents are going off on tangents that he may or may not be Muslim and that he lived in Indonesia as a 12 year old. For the love of god can you say something intelligent to counter his politics if your so against him. I am not a huge fan of Obama, but I would love to hear conservatives or other critics debate his policies not what his religion may or may not be. If he is Muslim, Bhuddist, Jewish, Christian etc what does it have to do with his ability to be a good President.

It would be awesome if the Federal Rules of Evidence applied to political campaigns. Politicians would have to lay a foundation for things they say and irrelevant objections could be made. Maybe then things would actually get done in Washington not these Soap Opera facts that go on by both parties while our Country and my State go into the sh**er. It is quite amazing that all of their ads etc simply focus on how bad the other person is. Nothing really explains why either is good. I am reminded of the great south park episode where Stan has to choose between a feminine hygiene product and a turd. Stan wants neither, but he HAS to vote. I am going to vote, but I am not impressed with either candidate. All either has done is say how awful the other one is. Meg Whitman's ad does say she has a PLAN and has a soundbite of Brown saying at some speech, somewhere, about something. Which was probably completely unrelated to these campaign and he says he does not have a plan. Meg Whitman's ad of course does not go into any detail about this GREAT PLAN she has. However, she has a plan. It is just such a joke on all sides. The people are all so incompetent it is baffling.

I wrote Nancy Pelosi several times about how rampantly abused unemployment is in San Francisco. Go into any bar during the day or at night for that matter and everybody is on unemployment. Or selling pot illegally to make a living. A lot of people use the unemployment money to start growing pot and selling it illegally. Then they hire more cops to address the problem who then bust people for small amounts of pot and then have jury trials that waste tons of money. Then fill up the jails and yet the state is broke. They raise the tuition at schools to pay for this incompetence it is just ridiculous.  I honestly probably wrote Nancy Pelosi 15 times just in hopes to get a response that actually addressed what I said. The first one I wrote I was just screwing around, but it went blatantly against what I complained about. It said how hard she is fighting to increase unemployment benefits. When I literally was saying how it was being abused. It blew my mind and that is how out of touch everybody is. It is just a shame and instead of focusing on how competently or incompetently these people are doing their jobs. The fact that they may or may have hired a maid 8 years ago comes up. Well that was an incoherent tangent, but it is really annoying that these kinds of things get reported and the real issues never seem to get addressed.

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 06:43:54 PM »
Whitman has already acknowledged her spouse saw a letter in 2003 from the soc sec admin questioning the maids status
she said firing maid was hardest thing she had to do because she was like family
maid wasn't fired until 2009
kinda convient she was let go just in time
whitman brought this on herself. i'm not saying she can't be an effective or good governor but i don't think she's honest. as corny as it sounds-charachter does count
btw-i love obama

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 07:00:51 PM »
Maybe she saw a letter maybe not. It is her spouse and Meg Whitman was not a sitting around on the couch all day. She was pretty busy it is a maid. I have gotten weird things in the mail I have been a class member to lawsuits. I got something in the mail from Social Security just the other day. Maybe she even asked the maid after this and the woman may have said I am a citizen it is a mix-up. I am sure the reason it happened in 2009 when she was running for Governor is that her campaign managers had to check every detail and they found that out. It was probalby something that never crossed her or husband's mind when she was working there. The agency said she is ok, but we got some letter saying things might not be ok. Maybe she followed up with the agency and they said oh everything is clear here.

You have to acknowledge that if you were running a billion dollar industry one of the last things on your mind would be the citizenship of your housekeeper that comes in once a week. I don't even think it is character it is no nitpicky that it boggles my mind. Obama is alright, but they do the same nitp***y sh** to him. About the obscure things that have nothing to do with his politics.

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 07:07:30 PM »
Bottom line-she has credibility issues and she looks like a hypocrite.
Have a nice weekend. :)

SemiMBA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 09:19:17 PM »
Whether or not you beleive Whitman or support her or Jerry Brown - it is obvious that this is yet another political ploy from a media lawyer.  They say one bad apple spoils the bunch - this is true for cops, teachers, and especially lawyers.