Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where Should I Start with the LSAT?  (Read 659 times)

superlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
Where Should I Start with the LSAT?
« on: September 30, 2010, 07:29:06 PM »
Hello everyone, im new to this site and would like some advise.
I want to take the February 2011 LSAT, since i'm working full time i can only devote about 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour at night and 5 hours each on my two days off, totalling about 20 per week. Also i have purchased the PowerScore Bibles for Games and Reasoning and i have a few Actual Prep Tests. Where do i start? Should i read chapter 1 of the bibles to the last chapter then do practice test or do a practice test weekly and determined from there where i need most help? do I need to learn to basics of the LSAT first then take practice tests?
Please any advise would be really appreciated.
Thanks for your comments.

MeganEW

• View Profile
Re: Where Should I Start with the LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 09:15:35 AM »
I'd recommend taking an untimed practice test first, just to determine where your strengths and weaknesses are and go from there.  After two weeks, take a timed practice test to see how you respond to those constraints and find any new weaknesses.

I found that a lot of the theory behind logical reasoning also applies to the logic games and vice versa, so I found it very beneficial to concentrate on training myself to think logically.  The games came easily first for me, and the LR followed.  Other people will have different strengths, so I think it's best to do a diagnostic.

I took the February 2010 LSAT while working full time.  I was also in school part time last fall (which is why I didn't opt for the December 2009 exam!), so I definitely understand the time crunch.  I think you have a good study schedule laid out for yourself.  Spend the week learning the test, and spend the weekends taking a practice and going over the answers.  Slow and steady wins the race. :)
Acceptances: UIUC, IUB, Fordham, W&L, OSU
WL: Notre Dame
Rejections: NYU, Northwestern

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 11:45:16 AM »
I agree with Megan with one exception. I would take an older practiced timed test to see where you stand as long as you understand you CAN improve.  You can't let the score discourage you.  By taking a timed test, you get the feel for what the test is.

EIther way will work, it depends on your outlook and determination

superlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 11:53:12 AM »
Thanks Alot for the great advise, i will definately take an old untime actual test and take it from there.