Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: [seeking HELP] - NY State Law: ownership of MINERALS/Natural Resources, etc.  (Read 769 times)

Sb.bourge

• View Profile
    • Email
  Could someone PLEASE direct me to any NY State statue(s) that address the ownership of minerals/natural resources underneath lands in the state; and/or statues that address reservations, servitudes, and/or the sale of such property? Also, are there any NY statues that explicitly defines or describes exactly what constuitutes as a mineral/natural resource in the state of NY?

NY statues covering land titles, conveyances of land, and/or the language in land deeds would be extremely helpful as well. Any info provideing leads to materials, or sources with knowledge on these topics would be greatly appreciated. Thank you  very much and have a beautiful day.   

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
If the question is specific to ownership of mineral rights on a piece of property you need to look at the deed for that parcel.

Sb.bourge

• View Profile
    • Email
Thank you. Would you happen to know which statues govern the ownership of this type of property (minerals)? Are would you happen to know which statues govern leasing the rights to the minerals? Any literture whatsoever that addresses mineral ownership and/or mineral leases would extremely helpful. Thanks again.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Thank you. Would you happen to know which statues govern the ownership of this type of property (minerals)? Are would you happen to know which statues govern leasing the rights to the minerals? Any literture whatsoever that addresses mineral ownership and/or mineral leases would extremely helpful. Thanks again.

Mckinney's Consolidated Laws of New York Annotated
Environmental Conservation Law
Chapter 43-B. Of the Consolidated Laws
Article 23. Mineral Resources
(Westlaw Reference:  NY ENVIR CONSER 23)

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/ENV/23

I'm going to warn you, though, that most mineral "law" is going to be found in cases.

If I were you, I would forget about the statute and start with this book: 58 Corpus Juris Secundum Mines and Minerals  (John Glenn, J.D., Glenda K. Harnad, J.D., of the staff of the National Legal Research Group, Inc., Eric Larsson, J.D., Karl Oakes, J.D.)