Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is a 1.0 - 2.0 GPA too low?  (Read 2533 times)

megee333

• View Profile
Is a 1.0 - 2.0 GPA too low?
« on: September 27, 2010, 06:50:49 PM »
Hi,

I didn`t really go to university to study and subsequently didn`t do too well, in class anyway.

I`m now a mature person in their late 30`s and want to go law school. I am a reformed character, as such, and have worked for the last 12 years quite successfully. My LSAT scores are looking at being around 155.

Can I realistically hope to get an offer from a Tier 4 school? I am banking on work and life experience and have just started as a legal assistant at a law firm, that (and the $10 ph wage!) shows that I am serious.

Thank you

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is a 1.0 - 2.0 GPA too low?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:46:01 PM »
Did you graduate with a 1.0-2.0? It seems that would not be allowed. The answer is if you somehow got a degree with a 1.8 that you probably could not get admitted. However, if you did n graduate I would go back into school and boost your GPA by taking some easy classes and getting a degree that requires a lot of units so you can get manipualte the numbers as much as possible. One guy at my school a URM had a 2.4 and a 154 so it is possible, but if you already have graduated maybe not.

megee333

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 08:01:22 PM »
Actually my degree is from the UK and is a Pass, which I understand equates to a 1.0-2.0 gpa and I did graduate.

I had some problems and almost failed but they allowed me to scratch a Pass.

In the UK you get (in descending order) a 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, Pass.

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 08:08:41 PM »
From what I understand LSAC treats most foreign degrees as a non-GPA. As such you would likely be weighted more heavily on your LSAT score and other life/work experience then someone who graduated from college in the US.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:09:27 PM »
There is some whole other system to determine foreign degrees and you need to talk to LSAC to figure out how they even calculate it. I don't think law schools even know how to calculate, but LSAC has some formula that figures everything out. Well good luck to you. http://www.lsac.org/

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:01:41 PM »
Bigs,

Now I see what my plan is:

I will simply tell LSAC that I graduated from the University of Zamunda (along with Eddie Murphy).

YALE, here I come!
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"