Law School Discussion

Before you go to law school...

MEMEMEME

Re: Before you go to law school...
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 03:49:41 PM »
Perhaps it would be too much of a conspiracy theory here, but I would argue that the old farts in general are attempting to make it more and more difficult for people to succeed in law because they want a monopoly on their markets. For example, is it anyone's business, particularly the bar association's or a law school's business if I have ever been "the subject of an investigation by a government or private agency," let alone been charged with a crime for which I haven't been convicted? No, it is not. It is no one's business and if anyone had such huge character flaws for character and fitness, it would be evident in their academics, actual conviction record, etc. Otherwise all you're doing is facing off people who have a record of close calls against people who have not been caught and besides, that's what appeals courts and malpractice insurance are for anyway. But these restrictions exist in some states and are even more ruthless in others and these rules and laws and restrictions are created by old fart lawyers. Not accusing either Thane or Morten of being the above, but it is a point to consider and I advise anyone who really wants to be a lawyer to go for it and remember income-based repayment plans for student loans and not consolidate or take out private loans.

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 02:02:29 AM »
Perhaps it would be too much of a conspiracy theory here, but I would argue that the old farts in general are attempting to make it more and more difficult for people to succeed in law because they want a monopoly on their markets. For example, is it anyone's business, particularly the bar association's or a law school's business if I have ever been "the subject of an investigation by a government or private agency," let alone been charged with a crime for which I haven't been convicted? No, it is not. It is no one's business and if anyone had such huge character flaws for character and fitness, it would be evident in their academics, actual conviction record, etc. Otherwise all you're doing is facing off people who have a record of close calls against people who have not been caught and besides, that's what appeals courts and malpractice insurance are for anyway. But these restrictions exist in some states and are even more ruthless in others and these rules and laws and restrictions are created by old fart lawyers. Not accusing either Thane or Morten of being the above, but it is a point to consider and I advise anyone who really wants to be a lawyer to go for it and remember income-based repayment plans for student loans and not consolidate or take out private loans.

Aloha, Memememe & All -

Speaking for old farts (and future old farts) everywhere, I don't think competition is the issue.  To be blunt, in general the powers that be worry only about a small percentage of the bar.  In general.  (I go over this in GGG with regard to legal employment.) 

Grossly unfair.  Unwise.  All true.  But it's unlikely they notice enough to worry.  In a sense, that's a greater condemnation of old farts, yes?

As to committees on fitness to practice law, much could be said, and much has been said.  Let me just state that, from one old fart at least, I cannot argue.  (And I like arguing.  = :  )

Thane.

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 06:37:19 PM »
I really don't think med school is anymore of a guarantee. I was at a friends wedding these weekend and there were a lot of med students and they were saying oh it must be so nice to know you are going to make a ton of money as a lawyer. I thought ok well you don't know what you are talking about. I assumed med students would make a ton of money, but there situation is almost worse.
It depends on which specialty they go into.  A GP doesn't make shitloads.  An anaesthesiologist makes shitloads no matter what.  I forget what the other three golden specialties are, but any med student should be able to tell you.

Of course Obamacare may change all that.  In other countries, doctors make squat, which explains why their medical care is so crappy.

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 03:13:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing! :)

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 05:35:59 PM »
I really don't think med school is anymore of a guarantee. I was at a friends wedding these weekend and there were a lot of med students and they were saying oh it must be so nice to know you are going to make a ton of money as a lawyer. I thought ok well you don't know what you are talking about. I assumed med students would make a ton of money, but there situation is almost worse.
It depends on which specialty they go into.  A GP doesn't make shitloads.  An anaesthesiologist makes shitloads no matter what.  I forget what the other three golden specialties are, but any med student should be able to tell you.

Of course Obamacare may change all that.  In other countries, doctors make squat, which explains why their medical care is so crappy.
Nearly all doctors will still make $100k+ annually after residency; primary care, the lowest paid, typically start at $120k.  They may feel like that's not much as most have lots of student loan debt (medical schools give very little aid outside of loans) but mostly I think they don't realize how little most lawyers make.  Or, maybe they're just concerned about their future because of the new healthcare reforms.

bigs5068

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 12:17:43 PM »

[/quote]

For all, take a moment to re-read Morten's highlighted sentence:  Even after all the work of stellar and perhaps pampered primary, secondary, and undergraduate years; after the sky-high LSAT; after the tippy-top acceptances; after a gruelling first year and wildly great grades; after two more years of mind-numbing schooling; and after an even more mind-numbing application to the bar and the bar exam itself . . . the odds are still against success.  Or at least conventional success. 

[/quote]

In regards to all doctors making 120K I still do not know if that is true or not. When I was in undergrad I assumed all lawyers made 100k as well, but that is not the case I know next to nothing about the Medical Profession so I will not comment any further than that. Then the main reason for this post is to respond to Thane's Quote above. If you go to a great school, do great on the LSAT, get good grades, the odds of conventional success are against you. I think that is true and I still think the same logic applies to each and every profession. I still have never met a person who said I am underworked, overpaid, and getting my job was easy. That is my biggest beef with all the naysayers for law school, because it is pretty similar to every other profession out there. However, I have noticed that even at my tier 4 school there are quite a few spoiled and naive rich kids that have never had to deal with anything in their life. I am positive that once school is not around they will bi**h and moan about how hard and unfair everything is, but the real world is hard and unfair. I learned that when I was 16, but many law students don't get that lesson until way later in life. Instead of busting their ass to make up for the fact that life is hard and unfair they make blogs saying how hard and unfair it is. Newsflash to the writers of JDunderground and other websites LIFE IS NOT FAIR! You need to deal with it is pretty easy to complain about things, but a lot harder to deal with them. The people that get paid 100K in every profession deal with problems that are difficult and hard. Sometimes the things they need to deal with are even unfair.

Bottom line is law school is kind of hard and very expensive. It is not a golden ticket to anything and I pleaded on another thread for someone to tell me about a profession that will guarantee me 100K for a few hours of work a week. Remember I also want to really enjoy the work and not dislike anything about it. I want to be one of the people that I have never met that says man I am so under worked and overpaid. If someone comes up with an idea that works I will give them 50% of my exorbitant salary that I do not work very hard to earn.  It also has to be really easy to get into this profession, because I do not doubt there are some people who are paid very well and do little  -Congress- :), but that jobs are pretty competitive to get.