Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Git You Some Really PIMP ASS Suits! The Jerry Springer Colledge of Law  (Read 901 times)

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
[sic]
[fade in]
Everest Dude: HEY! IMMA TALKIN TO YOU!  WHY YOU JUST BE SITTIN ON THAT COUCH, HOMIE?  YOU NEED KEEP IT REAL...INSTEAD
A GES' TEXTIN' ALL YO FRENS FOR BAIL MONEYWHEN YO COUSIN BEEBEE GOES TO COUNTY.....BE A LAWYER!  DEN YOU KIN GO TO DAT "RAIN THANG" WHERE DA JUDGE BE, AN GIT COUSIN BEEBEE OUT!  YA KNOW...YOU KIN GIT ALL YO HOMIES OUT, TOO.

Everest Dude:  YOU KNOW.  YOU SEE THEM FLY ASS HOMIES ON DEM TV LAW SHOWS?  THAS' RIGHT!  EVEREST IS NOW AFFLIATIN WIT MR. JERRY SPRINGER TA BRING DA LAW TO DA HOMIES!  DA JERRY SPRINGER COLLEDGE OF LAW WANTS YOU!

Everest Dude:  MAN...IT'S EASY.  WHAT YOU WAITIN FO?  YOU KNOW DA ONLIEST READIN YOU DO IS WEN YOU GOT TEXTED.  WHY NOT READ FO DA BIG MONEY, G?  LOOK---AT---THE--SCREEEN---HERE'S DA NUMBA.  CALL IT.  [under his breath] dumb mutha.....

1-800-LAWHOMY

Announcer [speaking softly at 5000 words per minute while fine print is scrolling]:

"The Jerry Springer College of Law is a for-profit Institution of Higher Learning, licensed by the State of California, and Accredited by the Church of Scientology and The Western Conference of Snake Oil Federal Funds Sucking Schools.  No warranty is implied in terms of bar exam performance or employability, both of which have been scientifically determined to be directly related to intelligence and literacy.  Should not be undertaken by those who are pregnant, could become pregnant, can potentially impregnate, or who have numerous impregnations currently subsidized by public assistance.."
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Git You Some Really PIMP ASS Suits! The Jerry Springer Colledge of Law
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:18:26 AM »
regarding the above post

PLEASE READ BEFORE EXPLODING INTO RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION:

It's called SATIRE, people.  My point is that marginal education industry "scammers" prey particularly strongly during times of economic distress.  It's all about "the Benjamins," as they say.  Do you notice how many FINE institutions are offering a solid curriculum in "HOW TO BE A CSI?"  They always show an obvious person of minority status peering intently into a microscope.

What they don't say is that the person is looking (1000x magnification) at their chances for actually finding employment. I must know maybe 10 young folks (sons and daughters of friends' friends', etc) who were dismal high school students, but are convinced that the Atlanta, New York, or D.C. crime labs will soon be knocking on their door with a wheel barrel of cash.

The sad thing is that public institutions are doing this very same gig with paralegal education.  You can just imagine the HUGE DEMAND there is out there for poorly trained semi-literate paralegals. 

All of us, especially non-trads like ME should bear this in mind about our pursuit of that J.D.  Can we REALLY hack it?  If so, are we ready to grind it for years, go into debt, and lose a few more hairs just for the great privilege of choking through the bar exam?  How about that employment outlook?

THE MORAL OF THE STORY:  As many of the veterans of this board (some of who are now practicing attorneys) say: "Make SURE it's what you really want to do."  It's not about the money.  Really.  Because if that is your sole motivation, you are obviously too stupid to even be an attorney.  Applying the laws of probability?  I won't even touch on that.

Those of us who are still going to push forward should all make sure our eyes are open.  If so, let's help each other out here with both practical information and encouragement. 

Good Luck and Good Karma!

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 11:47:41 AM »
That was pretty good and what you say about education is true. It really is a bit of scam in all fields and at all institutions I mean really think how ridiculous it is that people buy books and test tutors in hope of having a school  somewhere allow them to pay to pay thousands of dollars in tuition money. If you are lucky enough for a school to let you PAY them they do not guarantee you a job or anything. It is funny to me and this logic applies to every type of schooling and every institution there is. You have to go through this in our society, but the setup seems strange to me.  However, education is what you make of it and many people succeed, but it seems wrong for schools to charge as much as they do and give no guarantee of employment, which is the purpose of education about 95% of the time.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 11:51:59 AM »
Bigs,

Thanks!  You got exactly what I was driving at.  I expected you would one of those who would do so.  Sure, we play the LS game.  That doesn't necessarily mean that we think it is the best game.....

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:35:40 PM »
What?  No takers here?

I was thinking of having USNWR lead off the new "Tier 6" rankings with this outstanding institution...

;)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 12:09:51 PM »
Fun fact: Jerry Springer went to a T14 law school.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 03:52:11 PM »
What?  No takers here?

I was thinking of having USNWR lead off the new "Tier 6" rankings with this outstanding institution...

;)

If anyone needs a good laugh . . . anyone?  anyone? . . .  there's the film Ringmaster.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 04:08:06 PM »
Do you think he ever feels like a total sellout. I just read his wikipedia page and apparently the Jerry Springer show used to be a political forum and now it is the infamous Jerry Springer show. He got way more ratings, but I wonder how he feels having been a successful politician and pretty educated having to deal with that on a day to day basis.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 02:24:34 AM »
I dunno.

I suppose he really WOULD be ripe for the picking.  I can just imagine him saying, "THE JERRY SPRINGER COLLEGE OF LAW.  That has a nice ring to it"

Hmmmmmmm......[business brain starts calculating profits] chaCHING!

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 02:27:26 AM »
By the way nealric is indeed correct.  Jerry Springer got his J.D. at Northwestern...