Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Retake Testmasters or try Blueprint?  (Read 4024 times)

flannleman808

• View Profile
Retake Testmasters or try Blueprint?
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:39:43 AM »
So I have just about completed a Testmasters course in Los Angeles and have decided to postpone my exam until December.  I had something like a life explosion, and was not able to focus as much attention to study through the course as I would have liked.  Though I did attend every class and found it helpful (albeit not much in reading comp).  All the same Im debating if it would be more beneficial to retake the course and fine tune the Testmasters concepts with a teacher I know I like, or if Blue print is worth a go.  I've heard Blueprint focuses more on RC which would be particularly good.  However I don't want to get all messed up conceptually or end up preemptively seeing all the PT's and or questions from the PT's Im planning to save for the 5 weeks prior to the december exam.
Anyone out there have experience with this? 

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Retake Testmasters or try Blueprint?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:37:11 AM »
december test be hardest ver.

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 12:05:31 PM »
Why do you think you need to re-take the course or take another one right away or at all? You said you went to all the classes but that your main problem was being able to complete all the homework as the class went along due to 'life explosion' issues you had. Life explosion/implosion issues or not, most people that take live prep courses do not/are not able to complete all the homework problems lesson by lesson from one class session to the next. That is pretty normal.

If you gained a good foundation from the class you attended and took good notes, since you are not taking the October test, why not just use your available time to study, practice and review what you were taught in the class, do that a lot before classes designed for the December test begin to see how it goes.  Then decide whether to re-take the class.  If $$ and time to put into prep is not an issue right now, sure, jump in and re-take the class and/or get private tutoring right away.

It takes a while to fully ingrain all the concepts, techniques, strategies, what have you, that are taught in a full length course. A ton of stuff is thrown at you really fast in 4 hour sessions over the course of about 9 weeks. At the end of those ~9 weeks you cannot be an expert of it all and have it all ingrained and down pat. To master it you need to review your notes, the lessons, HW problems, etc. and study and practice more to make it all 'stick' and become second nature.

I think switching to another course would be a mistake. You may not even need a repeat of the course you already took, but if you think taking another class would really help and are going to do that, take TM again so that you get the same curriculum and methodologies you already learned presented again and reinforced. Unless you found a serious systemic problem with the TM course, curriculum, methods, etc. there is no reason to switch companies and have to learn and adapt to a different prep method from a different source. Plus, if you re-take the TM course you pay a lower re-taker fee to enroll.

The goal here is to get you to achieve your maximum possible score on test day. 

flannleman808

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »
Julie... I don't think any version of the test is any harder than another.  The writers of LSAC do a very good job making all things be very equal.  If December is known as the hardest test then it surely also has the greatest curve to boot.

Jeffort...

The reason I want to do one or the other is for the the extra hands on instruction along the way.  I know I will run into problems and have questions that I wont find answers to directly, and having the experience of a knowledgeable teacher will go a long way.  You are right I could probably do this by myself at this point.  However I want to go above and beyond not to mention I will waste time trying to do things that will take far less time if I am enrolled in a class.  If time is money then this is not money wasted it's well spent.  Also I want to continue having online resources which both companies provide (ie.  question explanations, and for Testmasters 85 common flaws and links to answer choices as well as Stimuli are only offered online).  However Blueprint will offer explanations (and I'm told more) of different questions and I hear has a more condensed version of the flaws.  And as I previously mentioned they go over a far more detailed method for dealing with Reading Comp (I could use the help in RC). Also I'm aware that they have very similar methods overall so It wouldn't be too different from what I have already been learning (So much so that they are being sued by Testmasters but that is neither here nor there).  But I take your point and its a very good one.  I am leaning toward a Testmasters round two.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:44:41 PM »
not be naive.

flannleman808

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 09:32:33 PM »
I realize it's the last time to test and still make an application deadline, but show me a statistic as to how its actually any harder than any of the other test dates.  Not to mention it's far from ideal to apply late as most schools have rolling admissions.  Maybe you have three or four more words you would like to say about the issue  ;  )

Jessicastorm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 12:17:50 PM »
So I have just about completed a Testmasters course in Los Angeles and have decided to postpone my exam until December.  I had something like a life explosion, and was not able to focus as much attention to study through the course as I would have liked.  Though I did attend every class and found it helpful (albeit not much in reading comp).  All the same Im debating if it would be more beneficial to retake the course and fine tune the Testmasters concepts with a teacher I know I like, or if Blue print is worth a go.  I've heard Blueprint focuses more on RC which would be particularly good.  However I don't want to get all messed up conceptually or end up preemptively seeing all the PT's and or questions from the PT's Im planning to save for the 5 weeks prior to the december exam.

The same thing happened to me last year when I was taking a Testmasters course. I took the test and bombed it, even though I went to every class. It really has to be something you dedicate the majority of your time to. Well, I put off studying hard until this year, when I decided to sign up for Testmasters again.

If you're going to take another prep class, then stick with the one you've already done. Testmasters actually gives a 50 percent discount for people taking the class again (or at least I was able to receive a discount...). If you sign up for a new one, you'll have to pay more. Also, if you have the discipline to go at it yourself, just pay to keep your online account. It's about $300, but it has all your saved diag scores, explanations and every LSAT question ever. That's probably the best thing...

The Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 06:00:30 PM »

i'm taking blueprint right now, and while their tips on RC are helpful, it isn't likely to help you much if speed is a problem.

blueprint, i think, is very good with LR though, but i don't know how it differs from testmasters.

i would stay with testmasters if price is an issue, though i think blueprint might be better.