Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just wanted to confirm testing regulations...  (Read 447 times)

beinlaw

• View Profile
Just wanted to confirm testing regulations...
« on: September 22, 2010, 08:05:14 PM »
So let's say I exacerbated all three LSAT test taking chances with the the third one taken in Feb. 2010. Since the rule is that no exams can be taken within two years, the next time that I would be able to take the exam would be in Feb. 2012 correct? Also, law schools would look upon this negatively right?

Just making sure that I'm understanding the rules correctly. Thank you for your help!

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
Re: Just wanted to confirm testing regulations...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 09:50:49 PM »
No, you would be allowed to take it again before February 2012.  The LSAC policy is that you are only allowed to take the LSAT 3 times within any given 2 year time window.  That means that if your 3rd take was February 2010, you would count the two years from the date of the first of your three takes, not the last one.  As soon as it has been 2 years since the first of the 3 takes you can take it again since then you would only have taken it twice within the previous 2 year period.

Yes, you are correct, it doesn't look great to LS's to have taken the LSAT several times rather than just once or say twice with one cancellation and one reported score.  How it is viewed would of course also depend on what is on your score report in terms of whether you have multiple reported scores or which combo of scores, cancellations, and/or no-shows you have. 

BTW, there is an easy way get an exception to the 3 times in two years limit.  All you have to do is get the admissions office of any LS to write LSAC a letter saying they grant you permission to take the LSAT again and the limit is waived.

beinlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 09:51:02 AM »
Thank you for your informative help. My first test was taken in Feb. 2009 so I would have no problem signing up for the June 2011 LSAT right? I just don't want to study again for the test and find out that I am unable to take it again.

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 01:12:33 PM »
Thank you for your informative help. My first test was taken in Feb. 2009 so I would have no problem signing up for the June 2011 LSAT right? I just don't want to study again for the test and find out that I am unable to take it again.

Correct.  Without getting a LS waiver letter giving you permission to take it again sooner, with the first of the 3 reported times you took the test being February 2009, you are clear to register for and take the June 2011 LSAT.

More importantly for Law School admissions purposes, what has been the problem holding you back from scoring high enough to have a good chance of admission to your LS's of choice?   If you are going to take another bite at the apple you really need to figure out what held you back from scoring up to your potential the previous times you sat for the test and prep better to make sure taking it a fourth time will be worthwhile to improve your admission chances.