Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: On Campus Interview at another Campus has this ever happened to anyone?  (Read 624 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I received a request to interview for an On-Campus Interview at Hastings, but I don't go there. It seems weird to me and I wanted to know if this has ever happened to anyone else. It seems kind of like a conflict of interest for Hastings to let me use their facilities and career services department and I do not even know how to approach the situation. Just seems strange to me and I wanted to know if anyone has encountered this before?

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: On Campus Interview at another Campus has this ever happened to anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 11:06:40 PM »
Now if a member of the career services office at Hastings ask you to wear a Hastings school tie during the interview, then I would say it is safe to say that you have wandered into the territory of the very odd.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 12:57:29 AM »
Yea just seems really strange. We will see what happens I am curious if anyone else has done how do I even explain my presence when I go into the Hasting's LCS. I applied to it through my school's LCS website, and then I got the e-mail saying we will interview you at Hastings the whole thing seems quite odd.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 02:24:23 AM »
I received a request to interview for an On-Campus Interview at Hastings, but I don't go there. It seems weird to me and I wanted to know if this has ever happened to anyone else. It seems kind of like a conflict of interest for Hastings to let me use their facilities and career services department and I do not even know how to approach the situation. Just seems strange to me and I wanted to know if anyone has encountered this before?

Bigs & All -

As with much of the law, this is a strange world because it's an odd mix of ancient guild with modern pro-warriors.  We thus have notions of "professional courtesy" that are holdovers from the days when only a few could read, much less sit for the bar.  At base, the courtesy is extended because it is very, very, very unwise to create gratuitious enemies.  (Here, the potential enemy is the firm, not you.)  And won't you have warm and fuzzies with Hastings when you land the job on their turf?  Perhaps contribute a new wing later?

While fairly rare, not only is it appropriate, career services offices usually have a formal protocol for visiting students.  It's thus important to contact the office and follow their specific rules, which usually relate to a formal request, the offcial invitation, duration, etc.  (Most will have rules about extending access so long as it doesn't conflict with their students' access, but if the invitation has been extended, chances are this will be satisfied.  And, of course, with OCI getting harder itself, there should be the spare room, even at Hastings.)

Good luck!

Thane.