Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LR: speed or skill?  (Read 2450 times)

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LR: speed or skill?
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 06:56:13 AM »
And I agree with those above.  Increase your understanding will help tremendously

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 12:26:29 AM »
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/logical-reasoning-tips-tricks-questions.html

1. Use the order of difficulty to your advantage.

Because questions 16-21 tend to contain question-types that most people find more difficult, begin with questions 1-15. This way, you'll start off on a roll and boost your confidence. Sounds reasonable enough, right? Here's where it gets wacky, though. After finishing question 15, jump to the end of the section and work your way backwards to eventually hit the toughest question. This technique isn't for everybody, but try it out on a couple of PrepTests and tell me how it works for you.

wrong.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 12:26:55 AM »
you welcome.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 07:12:24 AM »
Julie, you are quite weird.  It is turning me on

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 02:40:26 PM »
smart but verbally inarticulate chicks where at.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 02:48:12 PM »
Fighting must be much easier

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 07:22:59 PM »
for whom, and than what?

RachelK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 06:08:12 PM »
This is so true. I almost never miss questions from 1 -14. There are usually a few hard questions at the end but there are always some really easy ones that you just never get to because you're tied up in the middle. I don't want you to lose hope girl. I started out wit ha 142 diagnostic last year taking kaplan. Didn't do so hot on the LSAT, given i only studied for 3 weeks and got a 144. BUT since then, I have studied casually for the year and now scoring at a 158. I am taking the Ocotober LSAT. DON'T GIVE UP. You will get there. Its all about improving your skills. figuring out what is going on in the question. and most importantly FOCUS! speed comes along as you get used to the questions. Ultimately, don't set your goals too high. Even I know I may never get in the 160s. Sometimes, telling yourself you need to get an unreasonable score adds to your anxiety and makes you worse. Just try to do your best and stop focusing on the scores. Anyways thats my two cents. Good luck!

Jessicastorm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 12:29:25 PM »
This is so true. I almost never miss questions from 1 -14. There are usually a few hard questions at the end but there are always some really easy ones that you just never get to because you're tied up in the middle. I don't want you to lose hope girl. I started out wit ha 142 diagnostic last year taking kaplan. Didn't do so hot on the LSAT, given i only studied for 3 weeks and got a 144. BUT since then, I have studied casually for the year and now scoring at a 158. I am taking the Ocotober LSAT. DON'T GIVE UP. You will get there. Its all about improving your skills. figuring out what is going on in the question. and most importantly FOCUS! speed comes along as you get used to the questions. Ultimately, don't set your goals too high. Even I know I may never get in the 160s. Sometimes, telling yourself you need to get an unreasonable score adds to your anxiety and makes you worse. Just try to do your best and stop focusing on the scores. Anyways thats my two cents. Good luck!

Thank you so much! That means a lot to know someone is sort of going through the same thing. I'm not giving up, but I'm being more realistic now, I guess you could say. All I know is that this is the time to really kick it into high gear.

Good luck on the October test!

Jessicastorm

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 12:37:36 PM »
OP:  Given that your highest score so far is 146 after some practice/study time I don't think your major problem or best solution is to do the questions in a different order.  You are missing far too many for your current score range to be based on the order you do them. 

You need to do something to significantly improve your understanding of what is going on with LR questions, what concepts are involved and being tested, and to change/improve your approach and skills at solving each of the questions/question types, etc.

Timing is NOT your main problem, your underlying skills are.  Speed comes with/improves with better understanding of and skills with the materials.  When you know what is going on with, how to properly approach the various question types, and know/understand what techniques and methods of analysis to apply to each you will be able to solve each of them in less time with better accuracy.

Other than churning through a bunch of practice tests/sections as fast as you can timed, what else have you been doing to improve your LR problem solving skills?

That's about all I've been doing. A lot of my 'skills' or 'techniques' mostly come into play for logic games. I know that I really need to improve my LR skills. Sometimes I think I can get away with it, but when I'm spending a minute and a half on a question, then yeah...I need a new angle. This, for me, is probably the hardest part of studying. I've been told that the more questions I do the more familiar the 'types' will become, and eventually that will make them easier (or faster?) to solve.

I think the thing is, whenever I finish an LR section, I don't really know how to go about reviewing it. I go back, look at all the ones I got wrong and then look at the right answer and try to figure out why that was the correct choice/why I picked the other answer instead. Is that helpful? I'm looking for thorough explanations, like the kind I get for logic games...But I can't find it, not even in the prep course I'm taking.