Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Good school for Oil & Gas law  (Read 4403 times)

tvw74

• View Profile
    • Email
Good school for Oil & Gas law
« on: September 21, 2010, 12:27:30 AM »
I am currently a runner for an oil and gas law firm and I am interested in maybe going into that field based on what little I am exposed to of it by the attorneys as well as my listening to some continuing education in the field. I know that UT Law in Austin has several class offerings in oil and gas law and I believe that UH does as well. Does anyone else know of any programs that are strong in oil and gas law or have good placement into firms that specialize in that area? Also for wind energy law? class offerings for wind?

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Good school for Oil & Gas law
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 08:59:41 PM »
You nailed the two that I thought of.  Maybe Tulane also, since they're in the right part of the country, but the only specific program of theirs that I've heard mentioned is Admiralty.

N4T

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:00:22 PM »
Pitt law has a great program - an environmental law program with oil and gas classes, as well as a clinic that has lately begun dealing with a lot of drilling issues in the Marcellus Shale play.  Check out the certificate here: http://www.law.pitt.edu/academics/juris-doctor/specialized-areas-of-study/environmental

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:15:14 PM »
I think Tulsa has a solid program for oil & gas law etc.  I was pretty impressed with the school when I visited, but  the town didn't do it for me.  It does have cheap tuition for a private school and with my numbers which are only slightly above average they offered me a near full scholarship and if you are considering UT I am sure they would give you a TON of money. I am sure the other schools mentioned are great in those areas as well.

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 10:51:31 PM »
It would seem that you are surrounded by people in your office who would know the answer to that question far better than a random sampling here.  Have you asked the attorneys at your firm what they think, and where they do their recruiting?

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 02:15:26 PM »
UH has Weaver who is the author of the most commonly used textbook.  I took the class from her and enjoyed it.  She also teaches for Barbri.