Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can law students be hired to research case law?  (Read 1242 times)

MedicOne

• View Profile
    • Email
Can law students be hired to research case law?
« on: September 20, 2010, 10:54:40 PM »

Please delete if this is an inappropriate subject.  I am not soliciting for services, but I do have a question and this looked like a good forum to ask.

I have a family law case currently in the courts (Texas Family Law).  I have an attorney, it is cost prohibitive to have him research for hours in case law for some specific information.  Would it be possible to hire a 2L/3L student to do the research?  As a nonlegal professional, I find it difficult at best to find the specific information.  Essentially, I'm trying to avoid a paying a huge legal bill for something that has already been debated in a previous case.

There would be no expectations of privacy or legal opinions, just a list of cases that have dealt with the subject/opinions in previous cases.

Again, thank you, and my apologies if this is too off topic.

.Chuck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question-Type Finder utility
Re: Can law students be hired to research case law?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 01:37:10 PM »

Researching, looking up, reading and compiling case law, statutes, etc. does not require a license. 

Better question is why isn't your lawyer doing it (or why doesn't he have staff to do it) since that is part of his job that you hired him to and are presumably paying him to do. 

If the lawyer specializes in family law in your region and is worth his salt at all (I hope you didn't hire some general practitioner lawyer out of the phone book to deal with a custody fight or something like that!) he should have a clue about the current 'lay of the land', relevant precedents and know where to go with legal research to get what he needs to represent you effectively.  If he cannot do that for you then you likely hired an attorney that is not competent/qualified to handle your type of case and you should seek a better lawyer that knows the ropes and what he/she is doing regarding whatever type of family law/court matter you have.

Quote from: goaliechica

IOPJCRN (In other PJC-related news)
cheeseburger glazed donut bun
 "The burger has been met by criticism from burger puritans and from people who...WANT TO LIVE"

MedicOne

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 05:39:09 AM »
 Thank you for your answer.  I'll repay by answering your question.

He believes we have a claim against the insurance company for not covering the 'therapy'. According to him "That's where the money is."  So he does not share my interest of disputing the 'therapy' as health care cost vs special education cost.  Should we lose the case against the insurance company, we can take that verdict back to the family court to show that a ruling was issued that the cost were in fact special education expenses.   I'll not bore you with the specifics, but that is my general understanding.

Again, thanks,  I'll start stumping around at the local colleges. 

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:56:15 AM »
If they will be "working" for your attorney, a good bet would be a student in a local paralegal studies program.  They
may be able to set up a one credit hour internship or something.
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

lawschoolgirlfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 04:59:03 PM »
I was going to suggest a paralegal student as well.  I am one -- in nebraska. . . BUT -- I am sure that there are plenty of Texan paralegal students who want the money.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 08:08:35 PM »
As I under stand it, and I'm not expert in the area, it would be difficult for a law student to do this work directly for you.  It is not a problem at all for the law student to do the work for your lawyer, under your lawyer's supervision.
HLS 2010