Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Avoiding Burnout  (Read 701 times)

aglittman

• View Profile
    • Email
Avoiding Burnout
« on: September 20, 2010, 02:57:32 PM »
What do you guys do to avoid burning out during the year?  I'm at a point where I'm worried this is happening to me.  Thanks for your advice

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Avoiding Burnout
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 04:31:28 PM »
I am not yet in law school.  In my life experience ( I tend to exert full enerrgy in all my endeavors) I find that you will know your body and mind.  When you are feeling that feeling of burnout coming on, take a day to do something you enjoy.   You may be able to push through the feeling but your work may suffer.  Better to take 24 hours for yourself.

One cavil that often comes up is "Well I feel burnt out every week."  If you feel burnt out after doing an activity for a short period, you may want to find how you truly feel about the activity.

kenpostudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - kenpostudent@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 04:34:07 PM »
Make out a realistic schedule and stick to it. If you feel you are getting burned out, you probably don't have a realistic schedule. Also, plan for recreation time and keep those plans.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 05:28:02 PM »
It seems a little early in the law school season to be feeling burned out. Feeling tired might be expected, but not burned out yet. You need to examine what you are doing--how much time studying? sleeping? etc, what your goals are, what realistic goals should be, etc. and come up with a flexible plan (because you probably won't really adhere to it when you get busy). Anyway, evaluate what you have been doing for the 1st 1/3 of the semester to see if you need sleep, need to eat better, need to find time to exercise (which will boost your energy), need to have more fun time. You need to stop feeling burned out at this stage because the bad times haven't even come yet--the 3 weeks leading up to finals and then finals. During that time, you will need to pull from your energy reserves to work even harder in order to be able to finish the readings, papers, etc. and seriously work on your outlines and other study aids, so that you will be prepared when you meet your exams. The few days you will have as the "study period" or whatever they call it are not enough for a great outline and to practice testing your comprehension, if you want sleep, and you will want to be well rested when you face those finals. Even if you aced the final, there is a good chance you will feel like you have been put through the ringer and will be really tired. You don't want to have to scramble to put together the outline for the next final right afterward.