Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting a Job with the Federal goverment  (Read 7162 times)

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a Job with the Federal government
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 05:19:36 AM »
Prohibiting law school after college?  If that is necessary, then I think the better fix is to make college more useful.  There has to come a point when the coddling stops and the real world sets in, and I am not sure we should seek to postpone that point further than we already have.

Morten -

Didn't mean to imply that you were stating more than you were.  The thought occurred to me that I might have been insensitive in raising the point (and in arguing it further).

Thane.

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a Job with the Federal goverment
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Two Questions:

(1) What is the difference between the three JAG corp branches,

(2) what kind of personality would you guys say it takes to make it through the military. One of the reasons I'm looking into government jobs is because I hate the pandering and politicking that goes along with firm jobs. I know you still have to do it, but I'm told it's to a lesser degree. Thoughts?

Also, I hear horror stories about certain contracts clauses not being disclosed and people being roped into more years of service than they originally signed up for etc. Is this true? If so, what are the general pitfalls to watch out for?

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 07:38:57 PM »
Specks,

One thing that is different is that you will be "lawyering" under the auspices of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, 10 U.S.C. Ch. 47.  It is, as they say, a horse of an entirely different color.

That said, I can only speak as a former "collateral duty" legal officer in the Navy.  That function is delegated to certain officers at smaller commands that do not have a JAG Corps officer assigned.  Even though not a JAG officer myself, I did interact with them often.

In the Navy JAG Corps (which also provides attorneys to the Marine Corps and Coast Guard), most junior officers are assigned to what is called Naval Legal Service Offices (NLSOs).  What do you suppose happens when you gather a gaggle of attorneys all under one roof?  Politics, as usual.  Please be advised that there are power plays made and political gaming scenarios aplenty in the military.  The upside to serving is that at least (for the most part) you are not politicking for professional survival, as you would be as an associate in a BIGLAW firm.   

Why are you worried about being "hoodwinked" in your accession to the military?  Are you not a law student?  Read the contract.  There is quite a bit of disinformation out there regarding fraudulent enlistments.  While faux pas have occurred, there are actually quite rare.  You simply have to do your due diligence before approaching a recruiting officer.  Read everything that the military provides in terms of literature. 

I recommend you pay a courtesy visit to the military base nearest you.  Chances are, they will have a JAG Corps officer assigned somewhere.  Ask them about their typical "day in the life."  See if you think it would be a fit for you.  A good place to start would be to inquire at the Public Affairs Office at the Base Headquarters.

A word of caution.  Be advised that even though lawyers are "administrative" in nature, they are considered to be combatants, and are worldwide assignable.  Yes, you could find yourself wearing cammies and carrying a sidearm in Afghanistan.

I hope this has helped.  While I know little about the Army and even less about the Air Force, I suspect that service with those elements is somewhat similar.  At the very least, you are still dealing with military courts/tribunals and the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

louiebstef
CWO4, USN (ret.) 
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 11:56:29 AM »
Thank you for the reply. I will definitely look into the public affairs office. I've spoken to one JAG recruiter but, as is his job, he only highlighted the good things about his job so I am hoping to get a good idea of the pitfalls in the job so that I might make an intelligent decision.

As for the hoodwinked, I honestly don't think it's intentional. But sometimes time etc. is counted differently depending on whether a person is serving etc. Like you said, probably reading up on the literature will be what is most helpful.

Do you think there's any marked difference between basic attitudes/ personalities between the three branches?

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 03:48:42 PM »
Do you think there's any marked difference between basic attitudes/ personalities between the three branches?

Excellent reply by louiebstef.  As to different attitudes and personalities, what comes to mind is a conversation with a Navy JAG officer, who sat next to me during the bar exam.  She remarked during break that the Air Force JAG folk came to the Navy for advice on trials involving various brands of misbehavior.  Seems the girls and boys in (light) blue didn't have nearly as much fun.  [Insert favorite branch joke relating to telling time, chewing and walking, etc.]

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 04:27:41 PM »
What?!?!

We sailors are well known for being above reproach!
When we aren't helping widows and orphans, we are building rural schools overseas---the lighthouses of knowledge....

Burrrrp!

;)

"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 09:06:32 AM »
I'm an active duty Air Force JAG in my third year.

TLS has a huge JAG thread that is worth reading: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31543

There is also a great AF specific thread on AirForceOTS but it requires registration.

Air Force JAG Corps

cathy45ianni

• MSN Messenger - LigiaHtwe9663@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cathy45ianni
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - cathy45ianni
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 07:45:50 AM »
Different jobs have different requirements and different responsibilities. A job in defense  services or military comes with great responsibilities which is much more than any thing.