Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting a Job with the Federal goverment  (Read 7077 times)

harkkam

• View Profile
    • Email
Getting a Job with the Federal goverment
« on: September 17, 2010, 05:36:24 AM »
How hard is it to secure a job with the federal Government fresh out of law shcool?

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a Job with the Federal goverment
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 04:04:15 PM »
How hard is it to secure a job with the federal Government fresh out of law shcool?

Largely depends on the position you seek.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 05:47:40 PM »

Largely depends on the position you seek.

. . . and on your stats, both law school and class rank.  For Federal positions especially, getting a job is almost as difficult as with a law firm employer.  Some, for example "prestige" clerkship and DA positions and even JAG slots, go to graduates of top schools, with top credentials (sometimes moot court rather than law review).  The key is not to think of "government" as "easy."  Many advantages, at times, but not always easy.

Thane.

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 10:49:31 PM »
I work as a government contractor (InfoSec). Over the last decade or so one thing that I have noticed in regards to government hiring compared to private sector is that the process of acquiring a job is slower. From having interviews scheduled, to the follow up call, to the actual presentation of an offer, it just takes longer. This may not seem like a big deal, but playing the waiting game when one is looking for a job can really try one's patience.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 01:56:28 AM »
As a retired officer, let me share the links for the various service branches JAG Corps:

NAVY:  http://www.jag.navy.mil/careers_/index.html
ARMY: http://www.goarmy.com/jag.html
AIR FORCE: http://www.jagusaf.hq.af.mil/

You wonder about compensation?  I started in the early 1980's as an enlisted man, and
retired 22 years later as a Warrant Officer.  My final annual salary(plus benefits) was in excess of $100K

I now receive about $35K annually in retirement, plus medical benefits. Did I mention that this began
at age 42?

Not a bad option for some.
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 02:48:47 PM »
You wonder about compensation?  I started in the early 1980's as an enlisted man, and
retired 22 years later as a Warrant Officer.  My final annual salary(plus benefits) was in excess of $100K

I now receive about $35K annually in retirement, plus medical benefits. Did I mention that this began
at age 42?

Not a bad option for some.

Thank you for the sites.  ("Cites" works well too.)  The military is an excellent option, and not just for a strict JAG focus.  Sadly, large portions of society are far removed from military service as an option (much less, a civic duty), that the professional benefits are hidden in full view.

For any not yet in law school unsure of their goals or true desires, a few years in the service will sharpen both.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 08:52:39 PM »
Sorry to hijac the thread, but Thane I firmly believe you are correct.  Military was something I was looking into near the end of high school. I was talked out of it by "you are too smart to go into the military."  In hindsight, I wish I had for I feel it would have built the personal growth it took me 8 years to achieve in a shorted time period in which I served my country
[/quote]

Thank you for the sites.  ("Cites" works well too.)  The military is an excellent option, and not just for a strict JAG focus.  Sadly, large portions of society are far removed from military service as an option (much less, a civic duty), that the professional benefits are hidden in full view.

For any not yet in law school unsure of their goals or true desires, a few years in the service will sharpen both.
[/quote]

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 07:56:51 PM »
Thane and Marcus,

Your comments give mine a welcome legitimacy.  While the military, of course, is not for everyone, it can be quite an excellent option for some.  I believe, maybe in error, that some high school guidance counselors may be swayed by their OWN politics.  That is sad, because some young folks that have potential are sometimes lost to the streets because of this.

Not every student has the preparation, maturity, or finances to attend college immediately after high school.  The military can be a conduit to provide those very things.
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 12:12:13 AM »
It should be said that the military has changed over the last thirty years. Some of these changes for the better (e.g. greatly improved GI Bill), and some for the worse (e.g. deployment rate is through the roof).

While I was in the Corps back in the 90's (enlisted) I made a point that I would not even consider getting into a relationship as the operation tempo was too high, and too unpredictable for a young family to deal with. It did not help that the pay was poor and housing was simply bad (I remember when I joined my unit I was moved into an open squad bay that had been condemned over a year before my arrival).

Many of my fellow junior Marines went on to get married and start families, and a disturbingly high percentage of these families failed to cope with the stress that came with the job.

Spending time in the Military can be a good experience, but it is important to keep in mind that it is a commitment that far exceeds most other types of employment. When one is considering signing on the dotted line, it can be very hard to imagine the extent which it can impact your life.