Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: These discussions are killing me....  (Read 1607 times)

SR0909SR

• View Profile
These discussions are killing me....
« on: September 14, 2010, 09:29:55 PM »
I will be starting law school in the spring ( obviously I am not entering a tier 1 school), but I was really excited about it! However, after reading some of these threads it seems that most people have gained negative feelings about law school and the legal field after entering law school. Is it really that bad? Am I naive in my optimism? Are there some who gained more enthusiasm about law during law school? I sure hope so!

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: These discussions are killing me....
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 10:43:38 PM »
From my perspective, the lack of enthusiasm is the bad job market, ever increasing supply of JDs, dishonest emplyment stats from the law schools, and tuition that can cause financial ruin for many people.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 01:45:56 PM »
Be excited man. I go to a tier 4 and I have loved it, honestly there are people that bit** and moan about everything. Whether they went to Harvard or some lower school. If you want to be lawyer then go to law school. There is a chance it might not work out, but that risk is present nobody what you do. Remember education is a long-term investment if you graduate law school and pass the bar you can be an attorney for 40 years, but in any career you will have your ups and downs. It is also very hard to get your start in any career, but if you work at it you can make it happen. Well good luck to you.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 02:08:38 PM »
Also ask yourself what kind of person goes on a website and blames all their failures on someone else. Generally the person in a lot these negative comments about schools blames everyone, but themselves. If you graduate from law school there probably won't be employers waiting with 100k contracts as you walk off the stage, but if you apply to jobs and put some effort you can probably find something. Honestly, in my class all the people that I think are hard working etc have been doing alright for themselves. Then there are those that  take no initiative at all and take no accountability. As an example my friend who is a really cool person wanted a job this summer, I had one. Somebody ended up backing out to work a judge so there was a spot open, the person had asked if there were any opening when I first got it so I told them about the spot. Gave them the contact info, but they never ended up applying to it and it didn't seem like they applied to anything. I asked if this person registered for OCI again no. Basically anytime there is a little bit of effort necessary they don't do it and I am sure when graduation comes they will be baffled that nobody is hiring them.  Then instead of taking initiative and trying to find a job they will come onto LSD and write long rambling paragraphs like this one bit**ing and moaning.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 06:14:27 PM »
I think this is an unfair characterization by you toward anyone speaking about the downside and pitfalls of law school.  I am sucessful in my non-law career and quite happy.  I blame nobody for anything, nor do I feel entitled to a job.  And I think those feelings are applicable to most others.  We are merely pointing out realistic pitfalls that we have encountered.  When we say the job market is brutal we are simply pointing out a fact, not blaming anyone for lack of legal employment.

Also ask yourself what kind of person goes on a website and blames all their failures on someone else. Generally the person in a lot these negative comments about schools blames everyone, but themselves.

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 06:37:41 PM »
I'll be honest - I didn't particularly enjoy law school.

As it turns out, however, I thoroughly enjoy the practice of law, which strikes me as more important.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 08:44:02 PM »
Hamilton you give appropriate responses nothing ridiclously negative, but there are people that just go on and on about how unfair everything is. You merely say the market may be oversaturated and difficult, which it might be. However, people do succeed although this is a very difficult time for the legal profession. There are people that go on and on and on about how unfair it is and how they can not find a job, and need to take the J.D. resume etc and that is just like c'mon that is ridiculous.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 03:15:35 AM »
all this absolutely unfair.

Angelvoice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 10:51:05 AM »
Personally, I too find most of the information on this website extremely negative.  I was very excited about my decision to go to law school until I came upon this site.  Yet, here I am still.  Reading away.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 12:41:46 PM »
THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm taking my Easy Bake Oven and applying to Betty Crocker University.

I really NEED that househusband position now.
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"