Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is law school possible at 62?  (Read 10425 times)

MeganEW

• View Profile
Re: Is law school possible at 62?
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2010, 10:54:15 PM »
Specific to obtaining a degree and license your age may cause you difficulty in 2 areas, and I am not trying to be cute here: (1) LSAC will need your undergraduate transcripts and GPA, asuming that was 40 some years ago, that could be a problem?and (2) the bar application typically requires a complete and accurate accounting of addresses and employers - for me that was tough going back 25 years, I cant imagine going back 40 some years.

Question: ok- here is where I show my ignorance- will someone please explain LSAC. I know what it stands for but how do I use this website?
 John 4040, Now, you can color ME stupid.
LSAC is the Law School Admission Council.  Create an account to sign up for the LSAT. 
http://lsac.org/

In addition to the LSAT, this is also where you'll sign up for the Assembly Service (LSCAS / LSDAS, whatever acronym they're using now...).  The service collects your transcript and letters of recommendation.  You'll then apply to schools online through LSAC.  Your LSAT score(s) and transcript(s) will be sent to all schools, and you can choose which letters get assigned to which schools.

Go to the link and look around. :)
Acceptances: UIUC, IUB, Fordham, W&L, OSU
WL: Notre Dame
Rejections: NYU, Northwestern

Roomdo

• "Never Say Never"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2010, 11:05:03 PM »
Thanks- I am on it.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2010, 08:17:38 AM »
Alright, now getting a sense of where we are at.  Yes, the LSAC web site has most, if not all, of the info you need to get started.  I hammer on tuition costs as a big downside - are you aware that a JD requires 90 credit hours and that tuition costs alone are in the neighborhood of $850/credit hour without scholarship (maybe half that at some schools)? 

Thanks- I am on it.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2010, 09:40:50 AM »
John 4040, Now, you can color ME stupid.

I would never do such a thing.   ;)  I simply stick to the points before me and argue them out.  I'm not one to throw ad hominem jabs unless attacked in the same manner first.  My writing style does tend to be abrasive... generally because I don't beat around the bush and I call it like I see it.

Now, on to the substance of the matter.  You have decided you want to go to law school.  I would suggest two things: (1) Spend significant amounts of time training for the LSAT.  The test can be learned; and (2) even if you don't perform well on the LSAT, see if you can get into a state school within your state (in-state tuition is your friend).  A state school, T3, or T4 should be more than sufficient for what you plan to do.  Are you familiar with the USNWR law rankings?

Roomdo

• "Never Say Never"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2010, 10:33:45 AM »
Yes I am familiar with USNWR-  I live in Houston and plan to apply to University of Houston. T1 rank 60 and $21,000 plus or minus a year.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2010, 01:51:56 PM »
Yes I am familiar with USNWR-  I live in Houston and plan to apply to University of Houston. T1 rank 60 and $21,000 plus or minus a year.

Good school from what I've heard.  Not a bad price either.

Roomdo

• "Never Say Never"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2010, 03:42:42 PM »
That's what I think - my son's  UG cost that a year. Wish I had some of that money.
First things first- LSAT.

Roomdo

• "Never Say Never"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2010, 11:38:27 AM »
I just reviewed GPA and ran it through the LSDAS conversion. It's not very good. Just average for back in dark ages. 2.77 . My practice tests have been running around 165. Do you think I have a chance of getting in to U of H?

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2010, 12:05:24 PM »
Might be worth talking to them about it - school may look at you as a great PR story for the press.  It is not very often someone in their 60s starts law school.  They may be willing to look at the UGPA in a different light considering that it is 40+ years old and what you have accomplished since.  A strong LSAT showing would help.

I just reviewed GPA and ran it through the LSDAS conversion. It's not very good. Just average for back in dark ages. 2.77 . My practice tests have been running around 165. Do you think I have a chance of getting in to U of H?

Roomdo

• "Never Say Never"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2010, 12:26:07 PM »
Its probably not very often anyone does much of anything for the first time in their 60's.
But as you might know by now I have always been "an exception". When I majored in Economics in 1971 everyone thought it was "home economics"  Ugh!