Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is law school possible at 62?  (Read 11303 times)

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is law school possible at 62?
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 06:22:42 PM »
I am hopeful that you are at least at a grade 11 and higher than step 1 considering that $120,000 student loan. Government employment is only good for one thing, benefits. Make sure you get your share.  Been there- Done that .

I have no student loans.  I do enjoy being a clerk, however.

To be perfectly honest  you really had me going- I was hoping to hear from someone  more "seasoned " who was willing to share some of their experiences.  I would not begin to expect that you could comprehend the desire or motivation of a person having lived my life experiences for the last 62 years.  But I appreciate your efforts to enlighten me. Word of advice: save it for someone younger more your age. Meanwhile I will continue to explore my options, which believe it or not, even at my age I have many of.  Also, it is interesting you don't give your age and I give mine all the time. You should be proud of what you have accomplished to this point and not try to feel you have to compensate.  A person's age is seldom representative of  their value but rather life's journey.

I will not give my age because, combined with all of the other information I have provided on this forum, my identity could be easily determined.  I wish to remain anonymous, I am not trying to compensate for my age.

Did you honestly believe that you would find an attorney that started law school in their 60s on an internet message board?  I might not be as old as you, but this isn't my first rodeo. 

Nevertheless, I hope that you take my advice for what it's worth.  Obviously you have determined that my advice is worth little solely because I am younger than you.  That is your prerogative.  May you not find the advice and wisdom of your law school professors worth little for the same reasons....

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2010, 06:40:17 PM »
Fortunately, I suspect that most law professors will not choose her age as a reason to address in a condescending tone has you have opted to do.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 06:47:01 PM »
Fortunately, I suspect that most law professors will not choose her age as a reason to address in a condescending tone has you have opted to do.

Addressed her in a condescending tone because of her age?  Not quite.  I addressed the realities of her situation in my first post.  She noted that she was discounting my advice because I was less "seasoned", i.e., young.  I told her to take my advice for what it's worth - which is apparently not much to her.  Please feel free to quote anything you believe to be condescending.

MeganEW

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 07:04:50 PM »
I'm going to have to ditto John, with one exception.  When my father first graduated from law school, he hung out a shingle and basically did freelance work for other firms in town.  In elder law, I imagine that might be possible for OP directly out of law school.  That would require neither being hired full time for a firm nor building a client base.  It wouldn't be easy, and it it could cost you more than you earn, but it's an option.

Roomdo - I know it's easy to feel flamed on a message board when you don't get the response you were hoping for.  However, I don't think you can dismiss John's advise so flippantly.

The advice I've gotten from attorneys of all types and ages, including those who love their jobs:
If law is your passion, and it's about the journey, not the destination, then yes, do it.  But if it's not, don't.  And that pretty much goes if you're 62 or 22.
Acceptances: UIUC, IUB, Fordham, W&L, OSU
WL: Notre Dame
Rejections: NYU, Northwestern

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 08:06:12 PM »
I did not get the sense that he was being codescending, just frank.

Roomdo

• "Never Say Never"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2010, 08:08:05 PM »
Actually, it seems I "stumbled" onto the wrong forum.  It was not my intention to spend most of my day bantering with someone  over what he said, she said. What I wrote is what I meant. I did not ask my question to have my motives judged or my finances questioned. I was hoping to hear from an older either current student or degreed person who might share any experiences from step A to Z in obtaining a law degree. But instead my future in law was the afternoon's topic of  much speculation.
But most assuredly if I had asked about the logistics of attending law school as they apply to anyone, this is the place to go.
John, I learned long ago not to decide the value of someone's opinion based on their age. I did not discount your opinion although the better points were lost in the abruptness and abrassive delivery. In this case I specifically wanted the opinion of someone closer to my own generation. However, you are way too defensive.  I should think litigation would be in your future. But PR is definitely not your thing. I have not taken your comments personal since after reading over your other posts it is clear you don't discriminate.
Oh- I am glad you don't have a student loan that means you can get out from under 'Big Brother' sooner.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2010, 08:27:01 PM »
I think people are happy to answer that question and provide good advice; however, your initial post simply asked whether at 62 you should go to law school.  The nature of these boards being what they are, asking a question like that will get the breadth of responses you saw.  I do not think the intent of anyone was to be rude or disrespectful.

I think restating the questions or being more specific will get you some very good information.  I think people here genuinely want to provide meaningful dialogue and feedback.  Your situation is certainly unique.

Specific to obtaining a degree and license your age may cause you difficulty in 2 areas, and I am not trying to be cute here: (1) LSAC will need your undergraduate transcripts and GPA, asuming that was 40 some years ago, that could be a problem?and (2) the bar application typically requires a complete and accurate accounting of addresses and employers - for me that was tough going back 25 years, I cant imagine going back 40 some years.

Actually, it seems I "stumbled" onto the wrong forum.  It was not my intention to spend most of my day bantering with someone  over what he said, she said. What I wrote is what I meant. I did not ask my question to have my motives judged or my finances questioned. I was hoping to hear from an older either current student or degreed person who might share any experiences from step A to Z in obtaining a law degree. But instead my future in law was the afternoon's topic of  much speculation.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2010, 08:38:33 PM »
Honestly, probably the best thing to do is talk to schools and see if there are non-traditional students that you could talk to. My school has several older people in them and they seem to enjoy it a lot, but I cannot speak for their experiences only they. I think it is reasonable to say that you want to know what it is like being non-traditional student and a bunch of twenty year old student's are trying to give you advice. Honestly, probably e-mail schools you are interested in and see if they can provide you the contact info of any non-traditional current students or alumni and then they might be able to accurately address your concerns and tell you specifically about their first hand experience at an individual school.

Roomdo

• "Never Say Never"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »
Hamilton and bigs5068,
Perfect, just what I wanted. Now I have some information and some insight. Thank you.
And you are right my question was definitely open ended. It just seems it became closed before it ever went in the right direction or I even had a chance to ask for more info. All of a sudden it was all about how long I had left to make a contribution what it would cost me. I appreciated the comments made by both of you. As I wrote earlier,  John's delivery was abrasive.

Roomdo

• "Never Say Never"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2010, 10:26:25 PM »
Specific to obtaining a degree and license your age may cause you difficulty in 2 areas, and I am not trying to be cute here: (1) LSAC will need your undergraduate transcripts and GPA, asuming that was 40 some years ago, that could be a problem?and (2) the bar application typically requires a complete and accurate accounting of addresses and employers - for me that was tough going back 25 years, I cant imagine going back 40 some years.

Question: ok- here is where I show my ignorance- will someone please explain LSAC. I know what it stands for but how do I use this website?
 John 4040, Now, you can color ME stupid.