Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: January start  (Read 1960 times)

davise12

• View Profile
    • Email
January start
« on: September 14, 2010, 10:02:47 AM »
Hey I had found a couple of answers to this but it was also a little out dated so I figured I would ask to see if anyone else knew, or could point me in the direction of a up to date list of Law schools that offer a January start.

I am a Junior this year and just sat down and realizied that I will be able to graudate a semester early and I would really like to get things on a roll as soon as I can.

I am just wondering if it's even worth it to get started or I should just wait it out and be a regular fall applicant.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: January start
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 10:13:32 AM »
start date is no basis to use when choosing a law school.

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:24:28 AM »
I understand that one can become very excited about the notion of taking on a new endeavor. Yet, there are so many factors that can help determine your experience with  a graduate program such as law school that will have a much larger impact on you then what month you can start. Almost everyone would be better served by focusing on the quality of the education, the opportunities to focus on areas of interest, the location/region of the school, the cost of attending, the likeliness of opportunities in your area of interest. Improvements in any of these areas should outweigh the value of a few months of a head start on your next degree.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 07:44:58 PM »
OP,

Both Haus and Hamilton are giving you solid advice.

I am actually delaying an entire year in my LS start simply in order to go through the cycle carefully, aiming to find the very
best fit.  I simply took a few less credits, and will graduate in December of next year, vice July.  That shoves me from applying for the 2011 year to 2012.  Having the very best grades and prep for the LSAT is of paramount importance to me.

Good luck!
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

jchristin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 04:29:38 PM »
I too considered starting either in January or May at one school in the mid-west, but it would require moving from the Pacific Northwest. As an older non-traditional student it represents earning a JD nearly one year earlier than if waiting to start school in the fall. This means starting to practice law earlier, provided of course passing the bar right out of school. There is another law school that allows student to graduate in two years and is ABA approved. Most my co-workers are attorney's, they simply laughed and said good luck doing law school in two years, it would be shear insanity. So I have opted to wait until fall on the advice of good counsel, but it is an entertaining thought and might represent a perfect fit for others. Go for it if the school offers the type of legal education you desire and on the terms and conditions that fit your needs.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 03:32:01 PM »
I wouldn't attend a particular school just because they have a Jan start, but if your top school offers a jan start I don't see why not.  As far as I'm aware none of the schools I applied to had Jan starts - that wouldn't have worked with the way courses are offered and sections are arranged either at my law school.  Maybe just do an internship, sail around the world or otherwise find something to do for a couple of months :)
HLS 2010