Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law and life advice  (Read 431 times)

cb828

• View Profile
Law and life advice
« on: September 14, 2010, 03:31:30 AM »
... Thanks guys for the advice  ;D

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law and life advice
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:24:36 AM »
cb –

While the particulars of your circumstances are of course unique, you raise a good many questions (as well as underlying fears) that are likely shared by many.

The fact that you transferred from one T10 school to another lends some weight both to others’ advice and to your potential career options.  On the other side, your experience with OCI, while not uncommon in this market, might speak to either an issue of interviewing skills or (and I don’t mean this crudely) motivation.  If it’s skill, there are sources that can help.  Try Insider’s Guide to Getting a Big Firm Job.  It has a number of points.  (There’s no point sugar-coating it, of course: in this market even with skills it’s hardly a sure thing.  Unlike in the past, however, where any law reviewer short of autistic could land a top job, now the interpersonal standard is high for all.  This, however, makes the importance of the right approach all the more important.)  The second possibility is the deeper question in the rest of your essay: What is it you really want?

You mentioned you worked as a paralegal.  Did you like it?  Did you like what you saw of the attorneys?  The junior associates?  How did that play out in your discussions with interviewers?

In most academic careers, yes, a PhD is required.  But if you’re still finding yourself, it’s unlikely that jumping ship to another ship will lead to a better result.  Moreover, you’re friends are certainly right that you shouldn’t do anything rash.  There is time to make a good decision.

While it might seem that the late 20s is “too late” for a new career, the truth is that time postponed is “too late.”  The real challenge is to figure out what you really love.  Seriously.  Love.  Time spent figuring that out, at any age, is time well spent.  Time spent doing what others want (and that you really don’t) is a damned shame.

I hope this helps,

Thane.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:55:21 AM »
Some tough decisions to make, but I think most people go through this when faced with sudden uncertainty.  Life is too short to not do what you love - when you are in your 40s, you do not want to look back and say 'I should have pursued my passion, instead I am stuck here.'  You are in a T10, so that bodes very well for you in a good law career - if that is what you want.  All you need to do is pursue it.  OTOH, if you now know that you do not want to be a lawyer, then sinking yourself in debt for the JD is not the answer.  Hard to believe that you have no interests or desires - perhaps this is a short-term crisis of vision where your eye has been on the law ball and you have not really thought about anything else or let that interest develop - you may need to give yourself that time.  Perhaps the first decision is (1) do I want to be a lawyer?  If the answer is a definite "no," then you know what you need to do and let the chips fall.  If the answer is something other than "no," it may be best to finish your 2L and see where you are mentally at the end of the year.

This can all just be the normal wear-and-tear of LS stress excacerbated by the disapointment of no call backs.  Man plans and God laughs.  You will always have curve balls thrown at you and few things go as planned.  When that happens, you adapt and overcome.

While outside counsel from an outside perspective can be helpful, ultimately the decision on what you want and where you need to be is yours.  You got into a T10, so you are obviously very intelligent.  You will figure it out, just dont get beat down, tired, and quit on yourself.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 09:04:03 AM »
One more thought - and this is not a criticism - but you say you got no callbacks, maybe it is your appearance or demeanor.  Perhaps you need to evaluate your style and demeanor while working and interviewing.  Not being critical, but maybe there is something that you are not aware of setting folks off (e.g. sloppy, poor communication, no eye contact, mumbling, nervousness, appearing disinterested, etc.).  Perhaps an honest and critical evaluation with friends, family, or career services is in order.

R1Cruz

• MSN Messenger - Cruz45riley@mail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - R1Cruz
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - R1Cruz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 05:50:33 AM »
Thank you very much for advice.