Law Students > 2L job search

How was OCI?

(1/3) > >>

constable80:
IMO, OCI is a complete sham unless you are in a Top school these days.  The firms show up knowing they aren't hiring anybody from a lower tiered school.  The "interviews" are a joke.  They just sit and B.S. with you about nonsense for about 15 minutes and say goodbye.  It's not even interview experience, because they don't really interview you.  No one is getting any callbacks here.  I'm on LR, Top 10%, rejected everywhere so far.  Hope it's better for others out there.  Any info?

Cicero:
Well, we had about 50 employers for EIW, but I didn't apply to very many of them. I did a few interviews and have had 1 callback interview so far. We've had a lot less employers for each of the 3 phases after EIW. I haven't been interested in most of the employers since a lot of them are so far away. I do have another interview next week. (fingers crossed as I would really like to cross finding a summer associate position off the to do list) So far I've found it to be a great learning experience--OCI interviews, law firm socials to get to know the employer, 1/2 day interview--all things that are completely new to me.

Which law school do you attend?

bigs5068:
Well Constable sounds like you have a great attitude about the market. Interviews are competitive, but believe it or not they do hire people why else would they spend hours of time coming to campuses. You need to take some initiative in the interview there are plenty of people in law school, and if you go in expecting them to be impressed by the fact that you did okay on some exams you have another thing coming.

marcus-aurelius:
I don't see firms wasting man hours and money to interview just for kicks.  Just my opinion

john4040:

--- Quote from: bigs5068 on September 14, 2010, 01:06:16 AM ---believe it or not they do hire people why else would they spend hours of time coming to campuses.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: marcus-aurelius on September 14, 2010, 09:46:00 AM ---I don't see firms wasting man hours and money to interview just for kicks.  Just my opinion

--- End quote ---

Many firms now go to OCI with the intention of maintaining relations with the school and its students - not to offer jobs. 

When I was going through OCI, I overheard several hiring attorneys noting that they had so many excellent candidates - ones that had better stats than their current associates.  Another hiring attorney chimed in, stating that he wished his firm had jobs to offer.  The attorneys then laughed and parted ways.   :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version