Law Students > Job Search

Graduated and Passed the Bar, but stuck waiting tables. . . What now?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Hamilton:
More facts to back up the anecdotal evidence - think twice before deciding to go to law school.

From the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/30/AR2010103000211.html):

"Although the National Association for Law Placement, an industry nonprofit group, reports that employment for the class of 2009 was 88.3 percent, about a quarter of those jobs were temporary, without the salaries needed by most new lawyers to pay off crushing debts. Another 10 percent were part-time. And thousands of jobs were fellowships or grants provided by the new lawyers' law schools."

bigs5068:
I agree with everything in the article, but again present the question of what industry was not hurt by the GLOBAL recission. This same article could be written about MBA degrees, Bachelor degrees, Marriage & Family Therapy degrees, Art School (by far the most blatant ripoff of any education), the list goes on. Medical school does give you a job, but that is after several years of school and a 5 year residency so it takes about 10 years to even become a doctor. If you stick to the legal profession for several years eventually you will probably be doing something somewhere in the legal field. The bottom line is that education is a huge risk no matter what you are going into. Go to law school fi you want to be a lawyer and even if you nail the lsat, nail your exams, and pass the bar. Nothing is guaranteed in what profession do they say oh my gosh how exciting a new graduate we get to spend a lot money to train. Even in the NBA a lot of coaches hate having rookies on their team.

oleg1244:
wooooow. Graduated law school and passed Bar??? ouch! :(((((( That is not very encouraging...

Hamilton:
88.3% (employment) - 25% (temp jobs) - 10% (part-time) = 53.3% ... not a good employment stat...  effectivly a 46% unemployment rate assuming everyone going to law school seeks to be a full-time lawyer.  That is not global recession, that is a changing and shrinking job market compounded by an excessive supply of lawyers.

--- Quote from: Hamilton on November 01, 2010, 06:59:08 PM ---More facts to back up the anecdotal evidence - think twice before deciding to go to law school.

From the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/30/AR2010103000211.html):

"Although the National Association for Law Placement, an industry nonprofit group, reports that employment for the class of 2009 was 88.3 percent, about a quarter of those jobs were temporary, without the salaries needed by most new lawyers to pay off crushing debts. Another 10 percent were part-time. And thousands of jobs were fellowships or grants provided by the new lawyers' law schools."

--- End quote ---

bigs5068:
Well if other degrees even bothered to keep track I counter the argument, but they do not. So I imagine it is even worse in the other areas I mentioned. I know computer science majors without jobs, people with psychology degrees, MBA's, etc all  unemployed. This is exactly what bothers me about all of these negative law school posts. It is not unlike anything else I don't know many times I can say it. Finding a job sucks especially when you are a recent graduate and again that applies GLOBALLY.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version