Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is there any effective way that I can increase my reading speed?  (Read 1951 times)

jc123

• View Profile
Is there any effective way that I can increase my reading speed?
« on: September 09, 2010, 11:33:51 PM »
When I am doing the practice exams, one of the biggest weakness I have noticed is my reading speed.  since I am not a native speaker, my reading speed for LSAT is like 1 minute for around 100 words.  If I go fast, the comprehension and retention are really low, and when I finish the exam within the time limit, accuracy is disaster.  I am currently using the eye motion method, which is using the pencil to direct my eyes, so my eyes are forced to follow the pencil to read fast word by word, but it doesn't really help me read fast enough to achieve the LSAT requirement.  So, just wondering anyone has any constructive suggestion on how to improve the reading speed without sacrificing accuracy.

aleph_rahn

• View Profile
Re: Is there any effective way that I can increase my reading speed?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 12:22:12 AM »
I found myself silently mouthing the words as I read or 'pronouncing' them in my head, which does not help to absorb information and actually slows you down. Sometimes I still slip into it (old habit) and catch myself. Make sure you're not doing either of these things.  :)

LSAT Freedom

• LSAT Prep Course Taught by Harvard Law Grads
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Freedom
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 09:46:10 AM »
When I am doing the practice exams, one of the biggest weakness I have noticed is my reading speed.  since I am not a native speaker, my reading speed for LSAT is like 1 minute for around 100 words.  If I go fast, the comprehension and retention are really low, and when I finish the exam within the time limit, accuracy is disaster.  I am currently using the eye motion method, which is using the pencil to direct my eyes, so my eyes are forced to follow the pencil to read fast word by word, but it doesn't really help me read fast enough to achieve the LSAT requirement.  So, just wondering anyone has any constructive suggestion on how to improve the reading speed without sacrificing accuracy.

What part of the exam are you having the most trouble with when it comes to reading?  You don't need to read so fast when it comes to logical reasoning and logic games.  But with reading comprehension, I can understand your worry.  50-60 lines of text and not a lot of time within which to retain all that information.  Luckily, unless you ARE, indeed, a speed reader, most people can't retain all that information.  What's even better: you don't need to.  I recommend underlining the most relevant words, phrases, and opinions as you read a passage, and that will help you locate relevant information quickly when you are answering questions.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 10:25:12 AM »
sure can.  do it like most people read faster:  with less comprehension.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 10:55:21 AM »
There's a program called like EyeQ or something like that. (You might be able to get cheap access to it through your school.) The purpose of the software is to increase your reading speed, while also increasing what you retain. Your supposed to spend like 15-30 min a day using the software. Some people say it has really helped them and I have heard others say they used it and their speed didn't change. Good luck!

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 02:01:57 PM »
I feel your pain.  The reading comprehension section was the toughest part of the LSAT for me as well. 

What I ended up doing was starting with a superfast skim (five seconds), just to get the subject matter.  Then I quickly reviewed the associated questions, and then went back to the text to hunt for answers.  Not so much reading at all, really, as much as looking for words and phrases.

Not a method I would recommend for actual reading comprehension, but it worked well enough for me on the LSAT as well as some bar exam questions.

Remember, you aren't really trying to comprehend the comprehension writings - you are trying to answer the questions correctly.

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 02:04:20 PM »
sure can.  do it like most people read faster:  with less comprehension.

... and this.

When you are reading for actual comprehension, take your time.  Real lawyers read slowly - painstakingly slowly.  It may look like we are reading fast sometimes, but that just means we aren't reading at all, but just skimming and hunting.  When we get to the part we care about, we read it very, very, very slowly and carefully.

/threadjack

jc123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 08:41:38 PM »
thx for the constructive suggestions.  As of now, I can't finish a practice exam within time limit.  I tried to finish my reading comprehension in 35 minutes, and I got 10/27.  Lolz.   It was bad, but at least I know where I should improve in order to do better.  My exam is on Oct, I don't really know if I am ready or not.  My target is 150-155 since I am apply for T3&T4 schools.  If the worst comes, I am gonna just cancel my score and take it again on Dec.