Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Interview Questions  (Read 1899 times)

bodhi

• View Profile
    • Email
Interview Questions
« on: September 09, 2010, 11:01:30 AM »
Just seeking some advice on how to answer some typical interview questions. One question that I frequently get is, "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Well, I just graduated law school and I am waiting for my bar results. The truth is that I don't know where I see myself in 5 years. If I get a good job now, I will stay there. If I get a crappy job, I will look for another or go solo. I basically just want to get my career started. But, that is obviously not something I would say in an interview.

Any advice on this question or does anyone have any other questions they hear frequently?

Henri_Allen

• View Profile
    • Estate and Succession Planning
Re: Interview Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 04:17:39 PM »
If they ask you where you want to be in the next five years and you honestly have no idea, you have two options.  You could tell them the truth, ("I have no idea.") which is generally not recommended, or you can try and think about what they want you to say (by doing some research on the company and what the typical career routes are of their employees), and really own it.  Ultimately though, I would  try to use this job-search process as a time for you to search out what you really do want to do.  Did you have a concentration?  Try to narrow it down from there.

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:25:38 PM »
As someone who runs a department and conducted my fair share of interviews over the last several years, I'd have to say that interview question is much more of a "goal" oriented question, which really could be anything you hope to accomplish as a lawyer.  Of course, our main goal is to have a job, but add something like you want to be published in a law journal, or the managing partner of a small firm, etc. 

Try to make the goal match where you are being interviewed so you don't tell the medical malpractice lawyer that you see yourself fighting crime with the District Attorney's office in five years.   Sounds like common sense, but you'd be surprised as to the many interview mistakes people make without even realizing it.   

So just evaluate some of your goals as an attorney, and add them to your five-year plan.  You should also do some practice interviews with a friend.  It might sound a bit overboard, but jobs are very competitive.  So when you actually get an interview, you want to make sure you get the job.  If it's a temporary job, tie in the work as a stepping stone for your goal, etc.  Hope that helps.   

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »
This really depends on what size of firm you are interviewing at.   Small firms are all about the money.   If you will need to generate revenue in five years, tell them how your five year goal is to be a major contributor, and bring in more business than you can bill yourself.

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 05:01:17 AM »
The most important thing when being questioned in an interview is confidence. The more confident you look, the more chances you have at getting picked. Also, it wouldn't hurt to throw in a joke here and there, just don't exaggerate.