Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2010-2011 Application Cycle  (Read 13818 times)

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2010-2011 Application Cycle
« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2010, 08:26:01 PM »
My thoughts exactly.  I think you will do very well there.
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2010, 05:24:22 PM »
Dinged from UPenn via email.  Another one bites the dust :)

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2010, 01:50:45 AM »
Marcus,

Repeat after me (phonetically):

GeeeeeeORRRRgETowwwwwnnnnnnn

;)

"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2010, 12:25:03 PM »
Think it is getting closer :)

I inquired about scholarships early this month.  I was informed they have no official process for it.  But they recommended I send it supplemental materials after JAnuary 1 to admissions explaining why I am a canidate for scholarships.  I am in the process of writing what is basically a "Why Georgetown and I are perfect togerger" paper.  Similar to a personal statement.  I plan on highlighting my GPA since my return to school (3.99), my leadership in my school, and most importantly my work with abused and neglected children which should demonstrate my worht to society.  All of this is tied in to GULC being my top choice in a perfect world where money is plentiful.

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2010, 12:54:51 PM »
So despite all the "advise" you give on this board you are a 0-L?

Well, thats interesting.

So I decided I'll keep a mini-journal of my process here.  For those of you who haven't read my previous post about me, I have an LSAC GPA of 3.35 and a LSAT score of 173.  My GPA is misleading.  I went to school from 2000-2001, which included a semester where I never went to class nor took an exam.  So that was 5 F's on my transcript.  My GPA sicne returning to school in 2007 is a 3.98.  So if schools ignore my original course work, I am in the 75 (or higher) percentile for nearly every school short the top few schools.  If they go strictly by my LSAC GPA, I am a classic splitter.

I have already applied to 11 schools, several with fee waivers (Duke, William & Mary, Virginia, BU, GW fee waivers---- paid application fee Stanford, Cornell, Michigan, NYU, Columbia, Chicago).  My UPENN app is finished, but waiting to be sent in on the 24th.  Georgetown, Harvard, and Yale will be filed as they come up.  I also have fallbacks Seton Hall, Venderbilt, Minnesota with fee waivers, plus BC and Fordham where I will have to pay to apply.  If I get into a T14, I won't apply to any of my fallback schools.

I applied via Duke's prioirty track, and got my response today.  They have waitlisted me, which I was surprised about.  I figured I would get few waitlists with predicament.  I was reaosning I would either be denied because of my LSAC GPA, or accepted because of my GPA since returning to school.  Now, I have a feeling waitlists will be more landing spot for many of the T-14 schools.  I'll have to take a wait and see approach until November when other notices start coming in.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2010, 02:28:34 PM »
Please enlighten what advice (and for future reference, "probably" is the correct spelling, not probally) I have given that is unwarranted.  Saying that school 9 is no different from 90?  Wait, that was not me.  Someone with but vacuous space between the ears said that.  My lack of proper grammar?  Wait, that is not me either.

All of my advice (advise is a verb, you really cannot give it.  Have you ever tried giving run or walk.  It is not easy, let me tell you) has been from the countless of hours of research, the plethora of lawyers and admissions officers I have talked to, as well as a few judges.  So I am confident about my advice. 

The fact you are negative, misconstrue other's statements and assume things (Nealric was not a Harvard or Yale student, but you assumed he was when he defended him) and the fact you bring up irrelvant points that are outside the scope of the topic only demonstartes you lack of reasoning ability.  Hence, your unemployment or class rank is due to your own inadequacy at either research prior to law school or simply work ethic.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2010, 02:30:43 PM »
"Well, thats interesting."  Do you know what is wrong with that sentence?

So despite all the "advise" you give on this board you are a 0-L?

Well, thats interesting.

So I decided I'll keep a mini-journal of my process here.  For those of you who haven't read my previous post about me, I have an LSAC GPA of 3.35 and a LSAT score of 173.  My GPA is misleading.  I went to school from 2000-2001, which included a semester where I never went to class nor took an exam.  So that was 5 F's on my transcript.  My GPA sicne returning to school in 2007 is a 3.98.  So if schools ignore my original course work, I am in the 75 (or higher) percentile for nearly every school short the top few schools.  If they go strictly by my LSAC GPA, I am a classic splitter.

I have already applied to 11 schools, several with fee waivers (Duke, William & Mary, Virginia, BU, GW fee waivers---- paid application fee Stanford, Cornell, Michigan, NYU, Columbia, Chicago).  My UPENN app is finished, but waiting to be sent in on the 24th.  Georgetown, Harvard, and Yale will be filed as they come up.  I also have fallbacks Seton Hall, Venderbilt, Minnesota with fee waivers, plus BC and Fordham where I will have to pay to apply.  If I get into a T14, I won't apply to any of my fallback schools.

I applied via Duke's prioirty track, and got my response today.  They have waitlisted me, which I was surprised about.  I figured I would get few waitlists with predicament.  I was reaosning I would either be denied because of my LSAC GPA, or accepted because of my GPA since returning to school.  Now, I have a feeling waitlists will be more landing spot for many of the T-14 schools.  I'll have to take a wait and see approach until November when other notices start coming in.

interrex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2010, 05:03:47 PM »
What a surprise a 0L making corrections to things that don't matter to lawschool, way to be a fetus, fetus.
What's next math? Enjoy your BA, its all you are capable of.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2010, 05:24:29 PM »
Proper English and logic are don't matter in law school?

Again, no wonder you are so negative. English and logic are not necessary to apply law to fact.  I'll keep that in mind if I decide I want to fail at law school.

MeganEW

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2010, 05:57:41 PM »
Please enlighten what advice (and for future reference, "probably" is the correct spelling, not probally) I have given that is unwarranted.  Saying that school 9 is no different from 90?  Wait, that was not me.  Someone with but vacuous space between the ears said that.  My lack of proper grammar?  Wait, that is not me either.

All of my advice (advise is a verb, you really cannot give it.  Have you ever tried giving run or walk.  It is not easy, let me tell you) has been from the countless of hours of research, the plethora of lawyers and admissions officers I have talked to, as well as a few judges.  So I am confident about my advice. 

The fact you are negative, misconstrue other's statements and assume things (Nealric was not a Harvard or Yale student, but you assumed he was when he defended him) and the fact you bring up irrelvant points that are outside the scope of the topic only demonstartes you lack of reasoning ability.  Hence, your unemployment or class rank is due to your own inadequacy at either research prior to law school or simply work ethic.

::begins slow clap::

Anyway, good luck on the Georgetown essay!  It should be a good winter project. :)
Acceptances: UIUC, IUB, Fordham, W&L, OSU
WL: Notre Dame
Rejections: NYU, Northwestern