Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2010-2011 Application Cycle  (Read 13190 times)

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-2011 Application Cycle
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2010, 01:46:20 PM »
SO my Cornell early action application was deferred until regular admission.  I now expect this cycle to be a long, windy road through next June :)

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2010, 02:55:04 PM »
I updated my resume with every T14 school I have not heard back from as of today.  The update included 2 new activities (in the process of getting a paper published, leadership program at college) as well as an addition to my work experience.  I changed my work history to include everything I have ever done (retail, bartending, serving) in order to show where I have come from starting ten years ago.  Hoping that it may make a difference

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2010, 03:20:39 PM »
I wonder if this blog would help your chances at admission. I have no idea if it would it might even hurt you who knows. However, you come across on here as a pretty normal hard-working person that I would want at my law school. I don't know how you could even bring it up and it might even be a bad idea, but something to think about. For what it's worth from some random guy on the internet I am rooting for you.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2010, 04:19:51 PM »
Thanks Bigs. The other day, one of the attorneys I interned for shot me an email about being accepted into Georgetown and he said basically what you said.  It really means something to me from him or a complete stranger.  With my work ethic, intelligence, and blindness to failure, I know I will be okay.  As an athlete, you know the hunger that I feel.

Growing up, I came from a lower-middle class family.  This required me to fight (sometimes literally) for everything I gained.  My parents came into some money around my 12th birthday.  My younger siblings feel entitled to many things, and thus are nothing like me.  One has finally woken up and is getting his stuff together.  My parents always worked hard to make sure we were feed, and could play sports. I am thankful for that.  I am also thankful for the intelligence their genetics gifted to me.  I hope to one day repay them the favor.

This journey has been long.  It includes misteps, wrong turns, dead ends, but all learning experiences.  I regret nothing I did in my life (well, except maybe not withdrawing and taking a semester full of F's that killed my GPA).  It has done nothing but make me smarter, more diligent, and gave me the ability to sacrifice and suffer for the goals I hold.  My working class roots are embedded in me and they shall never die.  A competitor always

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2010, 08:17:13 PM »
Marcus,

That was damn INSPIRING.   I mean it.  I came from an economic situation exactly like yours.  My solution was to join the navy.  While I ended up having a successful naval career, who knows what could've happened had I had more support and guidance as a teen.  My parents really made little effort on my behalf.

What is the upshot?  Like you, I have pulled myself up by my bootstraps.  I am acutely aware that intelligence cannot be bought-but it can (and should) be nurtured.

You would make an excellent motivational speaker for underprivileged/disadvantaged children.  The sooner that they learn that:
(a)  No one GIVES it to you
(b) The fire comes from within you
(c) you really CAN do it!
We will all be blessed with more young people that make something of themselves, and hopefully give back to others.

Just my two cents.

Good luck with the rest of your cycle.  Like Bigs, I am really rooting for you. Although I am not crying for you with that GULC acceptance.  ;-)

"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2010, 01:04:02 PM »
Thank you louie.

Today in the gym, I was contemplating life in general between sets.  I had an epiphany in that moment that may sound counterintuitive to some, and even partly to me.  I am semi-hoping to get shut out form the rest of the T-14, and hopefully some schools below GULC.

My best work has always been done in the face of adversity.  Being told I was to short to play a sport (I am 5-9), came from the wrong part of town to be able to be successful, out of school too long to go back, etc.  Having a chip on my shoulder has always been my motivating force outside the internal manifestation of motivation I hold. 

Now don't get me wrong, I would love to be accepted to Y/H/S.  But by being shutout from them and other schools, I will eternally have something to prove to myself as well those who considered me a failure (rejection).  I am unsure how I would handle the success of being in a top position.  I like my underdog spot that causes me to work harder, study harder, and drive myself forward towards my goals. 

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2010, 06:30:26 PM »
I like that it is part of why I didn't transfer when I had the chance. Although Hastings is not Yale or Harvard it is a lot higher than GGU, still I like being underestimated I think it gives you advantage. Being on the flip and being 6'8 people always had way higher expectations for me in basketball than I could achieve. Especially when I was a 6'8 freshman everybody expected me to just score 40 puts and 20 rebs every game. Not only is that impossible, but being a few inches taller than someone does not make you superman. It was really annoying to have a pretty decent game score 15 pts and 9 rebounds and then have people say you should have done better oh your doing this that or the other well enough. I remember one game I had like 12 blocks and I was proud of it, but everyone was like your 6'8 you should be doing that every game. Nothing like good job just that is what you should be doing.  It really annoyed because no matter what I did it was just your huge you should be doing that.

I almost feel like that is what someone from Harvard or Yale would go through if you do something right it is simply expected and no credit is given. Where as if you come from tier 4 land people will be more impressed. I even noticed that this summer at my internship when  this 2L from Florida Coastal was getting a lot more respect and praise than this other girl from Berkeley. The guy from Florida Coastal was good and I thought the Berkeley girl was equally good,  but she did not get near the praise he did. I think everyone was surprised by a Florida Coastal person doing well and everybody simply expected the Berkeley girl to be outstanding. Yet they were equal. Again, the same thing happens in basketball if a 5'9 guy scored 15 pts and got 9 rebounds they would say it is amazing. If a 6'8 does it then it is simply something that should be done.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2010, 02:03:17 PM »
I received a holiday card signed by the Dean from GULC today.  I will say one thing, they do know how to wine and dine.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »
Marcus,

Why so coy?  Pack your bags for DC, bro.

;)
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2010, 05:31:23 PM »
The more I logically think about it, the more GULC seems to be a nice fit.  First, I love the school.  Second, I already have friends who work in NYC as attorneys so I have some networking done up there.  So I could use GULC to boost my DC networking.  Last, it is DC, blocks from our government.  Someone who is calculating (cough cough me) should be able to find a way to manipulate that to his advantage :)