Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2010-2011 Application Cycle  (Read 13884 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2010-2011 Application Cycle
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2010, 01:42:40 AM »
I got a few fee waivers in the e-mails prior to the forum, and I got a lot saying if you just stop by our booth then we will give you a fee waiver. University of Oregon said if you come to our table and say GO DUCKS. You will get one and I did and I got one. 

I think a big reason I got a lot of the waivers is I went up to the table of every school I would even slightly consider and wrote my LSAC number down. Then a week or so later I got a fee waiver from a lot of schools saying thank you for stopping by our table etc. Some came months later I was really PISSED ABOUT CHAPMAN. I was waiting to get a waiver from them I waited a month then I spent the 80 bucks to apply and the next day of course I get an e-mail saying thanks for stopping by your booth here is a fee waiver.  >:. I asked if I could get the money back answer No. BASTARDS! If you go to the forum you will get some and if you just talk to them they will give it you. I got nothing from Franklin Pierce in the e-mails or anything, but I talked to the lady for a five minutes and then bam fee waiver. A lot of schools were like that you can never get to many fee waivers so just go up to them.

catimini

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2010, 06:50:05 AM »
I got a few fee waivers in the e-mails prior to the forum, and I got a lot saying if you just stop by our booth then we will give you a fee waiver. University of Oregon said if you come to our table and say GO DUCKS. You will get one and I did and I got one. 

I think a big reason I got a lot of the waivers is I went up to the table of every school I would even slightly consider and wrote my LSAC number down. Then a week or so later I got a fee waiver from a lot of schools saying thank you for stopping by our table etc. Some came months later I was really PISSED ABOUT CHAPMAN. I was waiting to get a waiver from them I waited a month then I spent the 80 bucks to apply and the next day of course I get an e-mail saying thanks for stopping by your booth here is a fee waiver.  >:. I asked if I could get the money back answer No. BASTARDS! If you go to the forum you will get some and if you just talk to them they will give it you. I got nothing from Franklin Pierce in the e-mails or anything, but I talked to the lady for a five minutes and then bam fee waiver. A lot of schools were like that you can never get to many fee waivers so just go up to them.
Thanks for clearing that up. In fact, I did once wonder whether they give you a refund for an application fee that has been paid before they issued a fee waiver. Too bad they don't. Still a little surprised that NONE of the emails I received had fee waivers, but I guess I shouldn't complain about that. 

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2010, 10:21:13 AM »
Some schools waive your fee without informing you.  When I was applying to Northwester, I was prepared to pay the $100.  When I went to check out, only then did it inform me of my fee waiver. 

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2010, 12:19:25 PM »
So today is my last anything for my applications.  All my applications are done, but I have an interview for Vanderbilt at 3pm.  While doing my research, I began to grow extremely interested in the school.  Their summer program in Venice, their Law and Business program, and Nashville was nice from what I have read and seen. 

MeganEW

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2010, 01:02:16 PM »
So today is my last anything for my applications.  All my applications are done, but I have an interview for Vanderbilt at 3pm.  While doing my research, I began to grow extremely interested in the school.  Their summer program in Venice, their Law and Business program, and Nashville was nice from what I have read and seen.
Good luck! :) 
Acceptances: UIUC, IUB, Fordham, W&L, OSU
WL: Notre Dame
Rejections: NYU, Northwestern

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2010, 04:51:33 PM »
Thanks!!! The interview went well.  He did talk up Vanderbilt quite a bit.  The fact the was hired at Sidley Austin and did not work on moot court or a journal I found enlightening.

He also was a big advocate of going to a smaller school (student wise) than a large school.  He said it is easier to seek assistance and even to stand out to employers because there is always soemthing you can do to step up.  I'm creating a new post on the item specifically

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2010, 05:09:58 PM »
On another note, an application I sent in during the first week of September, is finally complete.  I am curious what the delay was.  All my info and documents were in by the middle of August.  They did say I'll know by mid December, so less than 2 months before acceptances/rejections/too many waitlists begin :)  Exciting time!!!!!!!

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2010, 06:16:37 PM »
Yea a lot of schools do not say you go complete for months, even if you send everything in in September. I think it just goes to show they do not even look at applications until October/November.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2010, 11:30:20 AM »
Figure I would update this since its been a few days.  I am now complete, informed through email, at every school short of Yale, Harvard, and Columbia.  Columbia is waiting for a letter from my school which should be there no later than next week.  Harvard and Yale I believe are complete from my end, but not sure until I receive comfirmation.

I checked the online status checker for the schools that have it.  Five schools have me under review.  Six schools have me as complete.  Two have me under complete and awaiting review.  So it seems things are coming along.

My buden has been alleviated slightly as the application process proceeds.  I am in the process of scheduling my classes for my final semester.  I will be co-authoring a study with a professor, taking ballroom dancing (figure it can't hurt if I ever go to a social affair and I need a 1 credit class) and philosophy of law or philosophy of punishment.  I am most looking forward to the independent study though.

And I finally was able to sit down to some sushi and tea this weekend before embarking on an five mile run.  Definitely looking up

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2010, 12:16:24 PM »
Yale, my final application is complete.  This means no more papers to send, no more additional information.  Straight waiting. 

From emails/status checks, here is the EARLIEST I expect to hear back from schools

Yale- Ferbruary
Cornell- December (December is the when I will be notified, no earlier no later
Columbia- end of November
Virginia- December
Michigan- December
Seton Hall - January
Minnesota- November
Harvard -December