Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2010-2011 Application Cycle  (Read 12753 times)

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2010-2011 Application Cycle
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2010, 08:51:48 PM »
I dream of applying for a gopher office position at YLS.
I believe that is as close as I will get, LOL

Good luck, Marcus!
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

MeganEW

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2010, 07:19:14 AM »
Congrats on finishing your apps!  I look forward to hearing what your options end up being.
Acceptances: UIUC, IUB, Fordham, W&L, OSU
WL: Notre Dame
Rejections: NYU, Northwestern

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2010, 10:49:31 AM »
I dream of applying for a gopher office position at YLS.
I believe that is as close as I will get, LOL

Good luck, Marcus!

I took a class for my Masters in IT program that was held in Pound Hall on the Harvard Law campus, which I suspect is as close to Harvard Law as I am going to get... :(

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2010, 11:43:05 AM »
Thank you all for your well wishes.  I am curious about YLS in that everything I did for all my other applications was shredded.  My PS was about my failures, and how I learned from but could not correct.  And I turned my 250 word essay (if you can call 3/4 of a page an essay) into my abnormal (as many say) willing to take risks, albeit researched risks.  IF (big if) it works, I may weep for not using it for all the rest. Or just be happy for getting in, who knows

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2010, 04:22:19 PM »
Received an email today I want some opinions on.

The school which sent me the email was requesting some more information on my character and fitness.  I had one addendum that addressed both my academic probation and interruption of an academic term.  This school asked for two separate, detailed addenda.  I am curious if others think this is a positive or negative.

I am looking at it positively for if they were planning on outright rejecting me, it would be unnecessary to ask me for any more details. 

Opinions?

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2010, 05:05:51 PM »
marcus-aurelius,

I tend to agree that the interest is a good sign for you. It does give you an opportunity to shoot yourself in the foot, but I suspect that if you write a reasonable statement that shows maturity (if not at the time of the events at hand, but with the wisdom gained from the life in the interim) you should stay in fine shape.

Happy Hunting,

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2010, 06:47:11 PM »
Agreed on all fronts.

aclawnow

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2010, 09:21:53 PM »
I was curious if some law schools make a decision before seeing the LSAT score? I know the October scores aren't out until November 1st, but I am in the process of sending out my applications. Has anyone heard of a circumstance where a LS acted on GPA and recommendations, and accepted a student before even seeing the LSAT score? I know the LSAT score is one of the biggest factors in making the decision, but has it ever occurred that they were impressed enough before time to make a decision? Just curious, thanks everyone.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2010, 08:21:25 AM »
From the application I filled out, I recall many (if not all or close to it) asking if you were planning on taking a future LSAT.  If you checked yes, there was a comment under that stated the review of the application would be held for the score.

The LSAT, being a different beast, seems like something that a school will wait for.  A 4.0 and then a 120 wouldn't get too far in the process

catimini

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »
Sign up for the LSAC forums to man just register for all of them and you will get a TON! of fee waivers a few days before when the forum is. I got probably 60 fee waivers some from schools I had no business applying to with my numbers, so I imagine you would get significantly more with your 173. You have nothing to lose my applying as many schools as possible and registering for those forums well make it very cheap to do.

Is it true?? I registered for the Boston Forum scheduled for Oct.16 and got tons of e-mails from participating schools, but none of them had fee waivers! And my numbers aren't bad........That's weird....