Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2010-2011 Application Cycle  (Read 12760 times)

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-2011 Application Cycle
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 12:06:16 PM »
As do I.  I received a snail mail letter from today from a school ranked just inside the top 100.  Included a fee waiver and an offer for at least a partial scholarship (though my accomplishments "may result in more").  It is from a school in an area I have no desire to stake my flag so shall ignore it but found it a little interesting.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 12:21:06 PM »
Hey marcus,

Bird in hand though, Bro.  Congrats.
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2010, 05:58:04 PM »
Today I was appointed to the Committee for Faculty Promotion.  Few students (not sure of the exact number) serve of the committee.  I will add this to my resume for the rest of my applications.  I am unsure if I should send an addition on to all my previously application.  Or wait to see if I am waitlisted and use this as a new accomplishment.  Thoughts?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 08:43:18 PM »
I think you could send it in it shows interest and that you being active. They would just add it to your file and it might boost you a little. Maybe explain what this position entails. If it requires you sit around and do nothing it might not be that great, but if it has some type of leadership skills detail them and give yourself a little boost. Granted I am not an admissions officers, but I do not see how it would hurt you to inform the schools you are applying to about a new accomplishment.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 06:35:23 PM »
I went to the Drexel University Law School Fair today.  It was educational to say the least.  Talked to several schools (UCLA, UC Berkeley, Vandy, Fordham, Texas, Minn, Illinois).  I explained my situation as it pertains to my GPA.  The answers varied from school to school.

UC Berkely- Lady told me "You should have done better the first time." (nearly word for word)

UCLA and Vandy said they would still weigh my GPA as a whole, as well as my strong upward trend (Vandy rep said expect several waitlists among the T14 that will turn to acceptance come June)

Texas and Minnesota said with my LSAT score and upward trend the overall will matter less. (Texas rep actually spoke with me about a student who had a similar background who is now at the top of her class)

Fordham rep seemed impressed with the LSAT score and fact I wanted to clerk/extern outside NYC

Illonois was neutral

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 09:54:32 PM »
Interesting range of responses, but perhaps not surprising.

Certainly some good schools will cut you right away, but if your data sample is representative, you have a reasonable shot at one of the top schools.  And one, after all, is all that is required.

One suggestion:  To the extent cash is short, start saving up for multiple seat deposits.  I tend to agree that waitlisting is likely, and you will probably still be on some waitlists long after the deposit cutoff dates for other schools, so plan on buying a couple of spots.

(Waitlists are funny things.  I was accepted to a school a week after classes had begun at the school I was attending.)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2010, 11:55:42 PM »
Sign up for the LSAC forums to man just register for all of them and you will get a TON! of fee waivers a few days before when the forum is. I got probably 60 fee waivers some from schools I had no business applying to with my numbers, so I imagine you would get significantly more with your 173. You have nothing to lose my applying as many schools as possible and registering for those forums well make it very cheap to do.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2010, 11:57:47 PM »
http://www.lsac.org/jd/choose/law-school-recruitment-forums.asp there is the link it takes seconds to register and can save you hundreds of dollars in application fees especially if you can actually make it to one.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 06:58:20 AM »
Morten,

Thanks to my several years away from school, I have money saved to where a fews $1000s in seat deposits will be payable.  I also knew law school was coming so I have been saving for this day.  And you ertr accepted to Yale but waitlisted elsewhere?

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 06:59:46 AM »
Bigs,

I am already registered :)  I'm glad I went to Drexel first for I learned it will be congested for most of the NYC forum Saturday. I plan on heading up right when they open at 10 to sign, talk and leave