Law School Discussion

2010-2011 Application Cycle

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-2011 Application Cycle
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2010, 07:00:11 AM »
Lol- just hope you don't get Vukowich for K's. He will suck the fun right out of it  :-\

« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2010, 07:40:29 AM »
I have Blum's version.  So far so good :) 

This primer moreso than the torts has helped me understand how to analyze an issue properly.  I do believe it is because of the end of Glannon's tort primer that explain, to a degree, what taking a law school exam is about.  It is different from undergrad in that your conclusion is not as important as your analysis.  On scantron tests, all that matter is  your conclusion, reasoning be damned.  I enjoy being able to explicate why I logically came to my conclusion rather than simply bubbling in a letter

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2010, 09:20:48 AM »
I have Blum's version.  So far so good   

I was referring to the GULC prof. Nice guy, but his lectures are like Ben Stein on valium.

« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2010, 10:00:07 AM »
That makes  more sense.  Ben Stein on valium.  I cannot fathom what that class must be like

« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2010, 11:24:22 AM »
So I was dinged today by UVA through email.  I am surprised just a bit.  Based on their class size, I was expecting a waitlist from them as well as Michigan. 

I am glad Georgetown came first.  Thanks the GULC, I can brush this off without a problem.  It would have been damaging to my psyche if I had gotten this one first.  But thanks to Georgetown being a higher in my subjective ranking for schools (see previous post) this rolled right off without much feeling.  My ego is not damage proof, but definitely resistant :)

« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2010, 05:00:01 PM »
Bummer that you got dinged, but glad you are happy with your GULC offer.   I liked UVA when I visited, but their campus really has a second-class citizen feel being so close to the much-nicer biz school.   Of course harvard's law campus is dramatically inferior to HBS's campus, but at least HBS is out of sight on the other side of the river  :P

« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2010, 05:14:53 AM »
I visited GULC yesterday and absolutely loved it.  The area was beautiful, despite the rain.  I like that every class is recorded for those who miss class.  I see it coming in handy for myself to watch it after attending class for things I may need a better understanding of.  Add in the fitness center that is in the building the houses most 1L students, and I really felt at home there.

GULC also has an exact replica of the Supreme Court, down to the carpet I was told.  The room had an aura about it.  The class I sat in on was cordial.  The professor did cold call, but it was very low pressure.  I talked to several students who said the majority of there professors were similar in style, although there are a few that try to embarass students when cold called.

Lastly, there are two clinics that I am drawn to.  The Street Law clinic involves teaching public school students about the law and preparing them for a moot court competition.  The second is an Appellate Litigation Clinic. 

Nealric, I was told I could take the Street Clinic the my 2L and Appellate Litigation clinic my 3L.  That right?

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2010, 08:42:59 AM »
Nealric, I was told I could take the Street Clinic the my 2L and Appellate Litigation clinic my 3L.  That right?

Yeah, it's possible. But be aware that the appellate litigation is really hard to get into.

« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2010, 02:26:38 PM »
Thanks.  I'm assuming that grades are of utmost importance in gaining access to Appellate litigation?  Or is brown nosing the way to go?

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2010, 07:10:34 AM »
Thanks.  I'm assuming that grades are of utmost importance in gaining access to Appellate litigation?  Or is brown nosing the way to go?

I think it's mostly grades. Basically, they want the people who will be COA clerks after graduation. I never applied to it though- so I'm not 100%.