Law School Discussion

2010-2011 Application Cycle

Re: 2010-2011 Application Cycle
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 04:37:02 AM »
Bigs,

I am already registered :)  I'm glad I went to Drexel first for I learned it will be congested for most of the NYC forum Saturday. I plan on heading up right when they open at 10 to sign, talk and leave
Have fun!  I went last year.  The biggest lines are for schools on the coasts.  If you have any schools in flyover states you want to check out (other than Chicago and Northwestern), you shouldn't have a problem.  I have to say, though, I was very impressed with NYU at the Forum last year.  They had a ton of students, but also 3 or 4 representatives whereas most had only 1 or 2, even from the other NYC schools.  When I got to the front of the line, I thought I would be rushed along, but the admissions counselor actually engaged me in conversation, seemed interested, knew the firm I was working at (a highly ranked V50 firm, yet there were still reps at the forum who gave me a blank stare when I told them), and really sold the school even though I know NYU isn't hurting for applicants.
I was unimpressed with IU.  An Indiana native, I stopped by along with a friend of a friend who went to IU Kelley for undergrad.  The entire sales pitch was "you can go here or go somewhere else and pay a lot more".  Uh, thanks.  There was no one else waiting, and we were two who might actually apply.  I've since visited the campus and loved it, and I think its location in a small town forces it to have greater reach in terms of OCR compared to slightly lower ranked OSU, located in a bigger city where many graduates remain.  However, many at the NYC Forum won't ever visit Bloomington before applying.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the responses from various schools!  I'm not surprised at the mixed reaction, but it's nice to know what the party line is at specific schools. :)

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 06:30:12 AM »
Megan,

I am heading to the forum to explain my situation to schools that weren't at Drexel to gauge their response (Columbia, NYU, Chicago, etc).

I did decide to apply to UCLA nd Vanderbilt yesterday after attending the forum.  Since I believe in being over-prepared, I had actually already had the applications filled out on LSAC ready to send if I so decided due to having a fee waiver for both.  I proofread and submitted each this morning.  After Georgetown and Yale, the number of schools I will have submitted to is over 20 :) (more than half with waivers)

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2010, 10:11:19 AM »
And you ertr accepted to Yale but waitlisted elsewhere?

Indeed.  Chicago had me waitlisted for a very long time (CHICAGOOOO!!!!!  *shakes fist*)

Most people I knew in law school had been waitlisted (or rejected) by at least one school.  Admission at the top schools is funny.  They could all basically fill their classes with top LSAT/GPA candidates, but they don't.  Instead they try to find the "it," and to some extent they all seem to be looking for a different "it," giving the appearance of semi-randomness in admissions.

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2010, 08:42:16 AM »
Yale's application requires a 250 word essay on any topic.  I was thinking about writing about skydiving.  I was thinking about how I do it because taking risks is part of life.

My other thought is to focus on the chemical addiction that runs rampant through my family but I have avoided by concentrating on fitness, financial, and academic goals

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 09:39:38 AM »
A thought I just had aqs I stared at the blank screen.  Th essay is used to test "writing, reasoning, and editing" skills.  So how about a 250 word essay on why I will be successful at YAle backed up by academic evidence?

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 10:17:40 AM »
A thought I just had aqs I stared at the blank screen.  Th essay is used to test "writing, reasoning, and editing" skills.  So how about a 250 word essay on why I will be successful at YAle backed up by academic evidence?
That could work, but I think the challenge could be refraining from being cliche.  I'm not applying to Yale; is this essay your personal statement or in addition to it?

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2010, 01:28:40 PM »
In addition.  In my PS for Yale I wrote 1.5 pages on failures I had as reasons why I should not be accepted.  I then spent the rest of the PS explaining how these failures caused personal growth and as a sum are a reason why I should be accepted.

And 250 words is not much.  Not even a full page.  I was thinking about explaining about how I had a choice for my senior seminar course between two professors.  I chose the only professor in which I earned an A- ath the University.  Deomonstrating my ability to be resilient and find success

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2010, 10:56:02 AM »
I've decided (for now) to write my 250 word essay on how I am suited for Yale.  I will speak about how my abilities and skills are all necessary  for acceptance into Yale.  I will finish by saying although they are necessary, they are not sufficient for acceptance.  The only thing that is sufficient is a yes from the admissions committee.

I'm heading in this direction to demonstrate some formal logic abilities

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2010, 08:50:26 AM »
My responsibility is complete.  21 applications done.  $900 in application fees paid.  The last 7 weeks since August 15th have been a little stressful.  I have done little but class, work,community service and applications.  I am looking forward to a night out this weekend.  Now the waiting begins.

To those going through the process, I wish you well and good luck.  I'll keep you updated as time goes in.

haus

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2010, 10:39:52 AM »
Enjoy the break, you have earned it.

Good luck with your cycle, and thanks for continuing to share your experiences with us.