Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2010-2011 Application Cycle  (Read 13434 times)

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
2010-2011 Application Cycle
« on: September 07, 2010, 07:22:02 PM »
So I decided I'll keep a mini-journal of my process here.  For those of you who haven't read my previous post about me, I have an LSAC GPA of 3.35 and a LSAT score of 173.  My GPA is misleading.  I went to school from 2000-2001, which included a semester where I never went to class nor took an exam.  So that was 5 F's on my transcript.  My GPA sicne returning to school in 2007 is a 3.98.  So if schools ignore my original course work, I am in the 75 (or higher) percentile for nearly every school short the top few schools.  If they go strictly by my LSAC GPA, I am a classic splitter.

I have already applied to 11 schools, several with fee waivers (Duke, William & Mary, Virginia, BU, GW fee waivers---- paid application fee Stanford, Cornell, Michigan, NYU, Columbia, Chicago).  My UPENN app is finished, but waiting to be sent in on the 24th.  Georgetown, Harvard, and Yale will be filed as they come up.  I also have fallbacks Seton Hall, Venderbilt, Minnesota with fee waivers, plus BC and Fordham where I will have to pay to apply.  If I get into a T14, I won't apply to any of my fallback schools.

I applied via Duke's prioirty track, and got my response today.  They have waitlisted me, which I was surprised about.  I figured I would get few waitlists with predicament.  I was reaosning I would either be denied because of my LSAC GPA, or accepted because of my GPA since returning to school.  Now, I have a feeling waitlists will be more landing spot for many of the T-14 schools.  I'll have to take a wait and see approach until November when other notices start coming in.

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-2011 Application Cycle
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:25:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experiences, and good luck with your cycle.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:27:18 PM »
Thank you. I was hoping for an early acceptance to alleviate my stress.  It looks like I am in this for the long haul at this point.  For those of you out there who are just beginning college and thinking of law school, analyze the consequences of every action.  For those decisions will be looked back upon

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 07:33:41 PM »
It also does not hurt to get a few free easy A's in undergrad. As messed up as it is, if you get A's in Frisbee Golf it will boost your GPA and although school's "claim" to look at the difficulty of your major it does not appear to be the case one look at Lawschoolnumbers, seems to show you that is what matters. I think if you have nothing, but b.s. classes it might suspicious, but throw in 12 units of weightlifting, snowboarding, whatever it may be over 4 years and boost your GPA a little. All in furtherance of the B.S. U.S. News Ranking system, but that is part of the game and you might as well take advantage of the system if you can.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 07:39:58 PM »
Since my return, I have tried to actually take more difficutl classes, while maintaining an A in hopes that would balance out my previous grades in the subjective eyes of aadmissions offices.  My major was Communication, not too difficult.  My electives I have taken though include microbiology, philosophy of law, and astronomy.  So I haven't taken it easy. It is my own fault for not withdrawing from school the first time around.  I was on scholarship so why bother was my opinion

catimini

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 11:04:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing! I am also preparing to apply to T14 schools. Good luck to us all!!
I have a question for you. What is prioprity track? Is that different from the binding early decision? Can't seem to find it anywhere in LSAC website...

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 04:22:10 PM »
Prioirty Track was only at Duke, then sent me an email.  Once they received my applicaiton, they would give me a respone in 10 days (not early decision).  It took less than a week for my response.

catimini

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 12:37:23 AM »
I see... Maybe it's something they offer only to early applicants. Congrats on the waitlist, anyway. I think you have a very good chance of getting off the waitlist.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 11:00:17 AM »
I am sending in a letter of recommendation for Duke specifically.  I'm hoping that helps.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 01:36:55 PM »
I had my Northwestern Law interview today.  I feel it went very well.  I surprised my interviewer when he was speaking of a law firm he used to work for before it was bought out.  I named the firm and he was impressed I had researched his past.  He also seemed intrigued that a hobby of mine was skydiving.  We spent quite some time on that subject.  I feel my recommendation from him will be a positive one.